Need help from PC Gamers: Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James W. Johnson, Dec 15, 2001.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I have not purchased a card for about two years ..at that time the TNT2 Ultra was the big dog and it still does do a fine job however I recently purchased a new computer and have decided to get another video card(it came with a Geforce 2 MX 200 and it is not any better than my TNT2 Ultra.)

My system is an Athlon 1600+, Asus A7V266(via chipset) ,768mb of PC2100 DDR and Windows XP OS

I want the best card no matter what the cost so do I go with

a Radeon 8500, Geforce 3 or Geforce 3 Ti500?

Perhaps listing a few games that I like will help you guys help me choose the better card...

Decent 3

KingPin

Quake 3

Half-Life

Homeworld

Planning to get:

Flight Simulator 2002

Ghost Recon

Max Payne

Aliens v. Predator 2

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

3. Gordon Wakim

Gordon Wakim Stunt Coordinator

I have read that people are having a lot of problems with Radeon and Flight Simulator 2002 due to ATI Driver problems. I would go with GeForce 3. I am using GeForce 2 GTS with FS 2002 and it looks stellar.

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Nvidia's driver support at this point makes me lean towards the GeForce 3. I think either anandtech or arstechnica just recently did a review of these products head to head, but I can't remember which one.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

As already mentioned go I would go with the G3 ti500. Nvidias driver support cant be beat. I personally have a regular Geforce 3 (not the TI series) and have been exremetly happy with it.There most recent 23.11XP drivers offered a good boost of performance on my system and that was only a minor update[​IMG].
    Also I have a good bit of the games that you listed and I can tell you my system which is a good bit below yours (p3 700) can run Ghost Recon and Max Payne at 1280X1024 with all details set to high at very smooth framerates. (I mention both because they are fairly new games which require a decently high end system to run.) You wont be dissapointed!

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

As everyone else has stated, the GeForce 3 is still the way to go. ATI has had a longrunning reputation of poor drivers and support. It appears to be no different with the 8500. While it technically may be faster than the GeForce3, in the actual bechmarks in games done by both Toms Hardware and Anandtech, the Geforce3 scores better in every game test, and in one of the the Geforce2 was actually higher than the 8500.

The only real advantage the ATIs have is in features. If you want TV out, Dual Monitor, Video Capture, a TV Tuner or whatever else they're putting on the cards now, you can probably find one that will do it for you (just pray that it will actually work).

The 8500 could be a better card if ATI gets it's act driver together, but due to past performances, I wouldn't be willing to take that risk

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Don't forget that many of the Radeon 8500 benchmarks were taken before the Quack3 scandal - in reality the Radeon seems to do more like Ti200 numbers at best. Personally, I think the Ti200 is better value than the Ti500, as the extra performance is quite small for that extra cash, and a judicious bit of overclocking can take that Ti200 most of the way there anyway.

8. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I just bought a Ti200 and am very happy with its performance. It overclocked quite well and is a stellar performer at a bargain price. However, if you have the bucks, I would definitely go for the Ti500 over the Radeon. The Ti500 seems to perform well on a wider variety of benchmarks and it is also overclockable to pick up even more overhead.

Kenneth