What's new

Need help for bedroom HT (1 Viewer)

denali18

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Hi everyone, been reading this forum the last couple of days and I want to commend the regulars for constantly being a great source of help. Communities like this is what the net is all about.

I'm thinking about adding some sound to my apartment bedroom. It is a 19' by 15' and I share it with a fiance, so space is definitely an issue. I have a 32" Samsung LCD as well as a PS3.

I do have access to a 12 year old receiver, Onkyo TX-SV909Pro as well as a pair of JBL L7s. If anyone is familiar with the L7s, you know these beasts are huge.

With my budget being around $500-$1000, I guess my question is - should I use that old stuff and add to it or scrap it for newer gear & start from scratch? Would an HTIB like the SR800 be comparable to what I can get with the old stuff or is it comparing apples & oranges? If I do add to the old stuff, is there any component I can add to it to upgrade to some of the newer audio decoders?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
apples and oranges...

i don't know the details on the onkyo. it has a good reputation and potentially could be used for it's amp section if it has 5.1 or better inputs, a long shot, maybe.

as for the speakers, keep 'em if you like 'em maybe in storage, maybe for a future music system, but it won't be easy to integrate them into the front channels of a new HT system (you could use them for rears, but would be overkill, no harm though).

the HTIB's are certainly good value if functionality is priority over sound quality. if sound if priority, build a system over time if you have to start around $500. your particular needs and budget will dictate more specific recommendations.

check out my response on this thread, it may apply to you.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Hi Pete,

The Onkyo 909 is a good receiver, it was their top of the line at the time but it will certainly be behind the times in terms of processing though. As your room isn't all that big and the speakers are I'd go the bookshelf speaker route. Since you're in an apartment the larger speakers may else lend themselves to disturbing neighbors.

There's a GREAT system available through AV123 at the moment for $999 but the sale ends Friday. It includes 2 pairs of x-ls speakers for front and rear, an x-cs center, an x-sub, Denon 1707 receiver, and a Denon DVD 1740 DVD player. (http://www.av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=24756) The speakers have received rave reviews all over the net and from Home Theater Magazine. I have a pair in my bedroom and absolutely love them. For that price I'm almost tempted to get a full bedroom HT myself if I didn't already have multiple systems in the house.

So...denali18...located in Alaska? If so we might be able to arrange an audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks