Need help for a friend with a Wega HD set...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobG, Jan 24, 2002.

1. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

A friend recently purchased a 36" Wega that is HD ready. She didnt want a 16:9 set because of the bars when watching normal tv and didnt like the pictured stretched either. Now, questions:

If she sets it up with a HD Dish satellite, will the tv use black/gray bars when viewing HD feeds? I believe the tv info states it will do a "16:9 squeeze", from what she has said.

If she uses a prog. scan player will the set letterbox even anomorphic dvd's?

What I assumed was that either the set would box/squeeze the picture to ahieve the 16:9 type format or lose info like pan and scan.

Basically, she wants no bars although I told her some dvd's are transferred in a ratio that will have them even on a 16:9 set. What she is thinking is if HD viewing and using a prog. player will use the bars she will exchange it for the non hd Wega that is 1000.00 cheaper. Then use the cahs to buy a standard dvd player and Dish satellite.

Thanks for any info from myself and my friend.

2. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

O.K., that didn't turn out as planned. Can anyone point me in the right direction at least? Thanks again.

3. Francois Plouffe

Any source, either DVD or dish, if it is 16x9 formated, it will have bars on a 4x3 TV set, period. The 16x9 squeeze mode is there to give a better image on 4x3 TV set from a 16x9 source, not to remove bars. In my opinion, it is a great feature, it makes the picture of a 16x9 source on a 4x3 tv set as good as it would be on a true 16x9 tv set.

Unless there is some kind of zoom mode on the Sony, there will always have bars.

4. RobG

RobG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I was able to find out from a different source and the bars will be present.