What's new

Need Help - First HD TV Purchase (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hi all!

Okay... bear with me here.

I've been an HTF member for a while now, but I'm just beginning my first foray into the world of HDTV. I've got a great 5.1 DTS audio system, fairly new DVD player (upconverts to 1080i), but I know very little about HD sets. My current TV is a 36" Panasonic Gaoo. (Non-flat CRT)

I need some suggestions about what new TV to get. I only know the basics of HD. Plus I've always owned CRTs, so I know little about RPTVs.

I have a room with east-facing windows. Lots of light during the day.

We watch plenty of regular 4:3 television, OAR DVD and I *occasionally* play my Xbox360. (I don't play a TON.)

It's a small living room, with only about 7' of viewing distance.

We're thinking about getting 42"-46". I don't know what brands are currently good, or whether to go with an LCD, LCoS, RPTV (no floor models) or what. Also, I'm not sure if going up to 1080p is of value with such a short viewing distance.

So, can anyone provide any suggestions?

Should I go flatscreen or RPTV?

Brands? (Sharp Aquos? Panny? Samsung? Sony?)

1080p, or would 720p be sufficient?

What sort of contrast ratio and response times should I be looking for, should I go with an LCD?

Thanks for any input you can provide! :)

Neal_C

Second Unit
Hey Tony,

Do you have a price range? Do you have any space limitations? Have you demoed any HD sets and found any preferences to any of the available technologies?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I have no preference towards any particular tech. Naturally, I'm worried about burn-in (plasma) and color wheels (RPTV) and other bits of troublesome tech, but I have no preference. Even the glossiness of a plasma doesn't worry me too much, as we're used to the slightly curved CRT we currently have. (I was looking at a 42" Panasonic plasma today at Costco.)

I'm looking at up to 3000 or so.

Space limitations? Well, the living room is fairly small... hence the reason we're looking at the 42"-46" range.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Looked at two LCDs that I rather liked today.

Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U. Picture is STUNNING, and it's a 46" in our price range. Blacks are astounding for an LCD. Drawback: Some models have exhibited horizontal banding. However, the retailer that has this TV has a no-hassle return policy.

Sony KDL-40XBR3. 6 inches smaller, but it's a nice Sony Bravia. 3 HDMI inputs (only 2 on the Sharp), one PC/VGA input. Plus I love the glass bezel and picture quality is also gorgeous. Disadvantage: Smaller and more expensive, although it's currently on-sale at one retailer for the SAME price as the 46" Aquos

Both TVs look awesome. Both are roughly the same price (Sony is on sale.) Aquos is bigger, but has less inputs. Both are 1080p and 1920x1080.

Anyone have thoughts on these??

Neal_C

Second Unit
Tony,

I have the Sharp Aquos 42" and absolutely love it. Gorgeous tv with excellent picture quality. I think the 46" and 52" are supposed to be even better.

Although the XBR3's are excellent in their own right, there is no way I would pay the same price and have to give up 6" of viewing area.

I'm sure there are some comments on both lines in the TV section here at HTF. I know there is a huge thread over at AVS on the Aquos line. Might be worth your time to read it.

If the 46" Aquos is in your budget, it is definitely worth the money. The Aquos line is regarded as one of the best on the market.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Thanks for the response Neal!

I've been reading the thread over at AVS, and it's part of the reason I'm hesitant on the Aquos... all this talk of the banding issues. No problem on your end, I'm guessing?

Yeah, I hate to give up 6" of space. If the Sony wasn't on sale, or it wasn't a Sony... I wouldn't be considering it... even though it has a great picture. But it IS a Sony, and it's on sale for a helluva price.

More inputs, but less screen space.

I'm leaning strongly towards the 46" Aquos. Still gathering data to decide though if anyone else has comments. :)

Neal_C

Second Unit
No problems on my set.

There will be some kind of fault with every single television on the market. Some will have this issue, some will have that, etc, etc.

As with everything, you will always hear more about the faults than the positives.

If you are buying from a place with a good return policy then you could just buy the set, watch it for a given amount of time and if it exhibits something you don't like, just return it. If you don't see the issue, then just enjoy your set and continue viewing it.

The great thing about the internet is the amount of information at your fingertips. But at times, this can be a negative for what I described above. You will find much more negative info than you will positives. Some people spend so much time looking for faults in the tv they just bought that they can never enjoy the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks