Need help finishing my system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pablo Abularach, May 28, 2002.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Hi,

I'm just a newbie trying to build my system, thanks for taking the time on ready my thread.

I'm planning on hooking a JBL PB12 with NPS1II and a ONKYO SR600. I have a Wega 34' (with S video, composite and component hook ups).

So here are the questions

1) Does cables matter, a fiend told me that the cables the are sold in Radioshack could get almost the same performance than a MONSTER Cable.

2) What are your thought of Acoustic Research in cables, are they any good, or should I go for Monster.

3) I havent decide how I'm going to hook the video lines, I don't know if should go S vidio or Component. If I go with component should I see much difference compare to svideo (my TV isn't HDTV). I heard that the difference could be notice only in HDTV systems.

4) Suggestions on DVDs, right now I have a PS2 as DVD, but I don't like the qty, so I'm planning on buying a new one, I'm looking for something between $100 to $300, my TV isn't Progresive scan, and I don't need it to be THX certified.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
    Pablo Abularach

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    congrats on the new gear! lemme see if i can help you out...

1) for your purposes, cables will not really matter. i seriously doubt you'd notice any difference between Monster and Radio Shack cables in your system. Monster isn't that good anyways.

2) AR's cables are quality components for the price. however, unless you can get them cheaper than RS cables, just stick to what your local Rat Shack has to offer.

3) use component if you can. even though your TV is not HD, you will notice a difference between s-video and component. it will not be as large a difference as jumping from composite to s-video, but it's definitely noticable.

4) i'd suggest either a Panasonic RV-32 (~$150 from Best Buy). nothing fancy or anything, just a solid player from the best DVD player manufacturer (IMO). get the RP-56 if you plan to move to a HD unit in the next 2-3 years.

good luck!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Thomas gave you most of the answers. But since you are talking to a "friend", let me give you some details to discuss with your friend.
    Do cables matter?
    Yes, but it depends upon your system.
    Radio Shack/AR video cables are great for the money. A "modest" system should see no difference between these and Monster brands.
    But a more sensitive system will show a difference.
    A "sensitive" system is any one of these:
    - Display size around 50" or larger
    - Display is a HD/HD ready television
    - Cable run somewhere over 12 feet
    - Pushing Progressive or HD signals
    And we can tell you where to buy professional grade cables that are cheaper than Monster, but perform as good/better.
    What type of video connection
    Home Theater Magazine compared the 3 connection types and came up with these results for a reference 50" RPTV:
    Composite (single cable with RCA plugs) - baseline
    SVideo (funny 'keyboard' connector) - 20% improvement over Composite
    Component (3 cables with RCA plugs) - 25% improvement over Composite
    They noted that the difference is LESS with a smaller TV, and MORE with a larger one.
    Hope this helps.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Thomas_Berg and Bob McElfresh,

Thanks for the information,

I'll check radioshack and see what do they have available in guatemala.

Can you tell what brands of cable you were talking that were cheaper and better that monster. And if you can a website to buy them.

Thanks again for the info,
    Pablo Abularach

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Pablo,
    Not necessarily better, but certainly cheaper than Monster, you can find Acoustic Research Pro cables at sites such as Accessories4Less.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Try this Thread
    for some web sites.
    Most of these sites use Canare or Belden coax - the same stuff used in the professional production studios. The prices do vary so shop around.
    Good Luck.

7. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

Hi Pablo
    Cables do matter. What ti all boils down to is resistance.
    True Radio Shack cables can sound as good as Monster cables. You really have to hook them up to see which one sound better on your system. I have monster connection between one set of components (my amp and pre-amp)that sounds good but it does not sound good between my dvd player and my pre-amp, there I use Cambrige They sound good there, so you see you just have to try trial and error.
    About your video hook-up,you have to have a progressive scan tv and dvd player in order to have a progressive picture.
    As far as a good dvd player between 100-300 dollars many to chaoose from Denon,Toshoba,Pioneer etc.

Hope I was of help.

Mike Bledsoe