Need help finding surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_Thorn, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Mike_Thorn

Mike_Thorn Auditioning

I went out today to a couple of b & m's and I didn't come across anything that jumped out at me. Cir. City and GG's didn't have alot of surrounds even hooked up. I have Infinity Overature 3's as front and I need a new set of surrounds to go with these. My old infinity surrounds are towers and they won't go with my new layout in the family room. I need a surround that I can hang on the walls. One sales person mentioned the Klipch RS-3's. They had 3 in stock and are no longer being made and they had them for a price of $375 for a pair. I need suggestions as far as a surround that will go along with my Over 3's and also sound nice for HT and nice in 5 channel stereo. (Denon 4800). I've been out of the HT loop for quite awhile so any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance.

PS: The only infinity's as far as surrounds that I was able to listen to sounded like garbage. I forget the model but they were only $175 pair so maybe that was why.

2. Mike_Thorn

Mike_Thorn Auditioning

Psssttt! Is this on? Anybody with ideas?

3. Mike_Thorn

Mike_Thorn Auditioning

Well I guess I'll stay away from the RS-3's since it looks like nobody uses them or has an opinion on them. Surround speakers are still used in HT arent they? I haven't been away that long. Thanks anyway.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Hey Mike. Sorry that you did not get an answer. Personally I don’t have that much familiarity with the speakers you reference, so you need to take my comments as being not very expert.

But if it were me, I would not mix Klipch with Infinity even as surrounds. While it is true that timbre-matching is most important for your front three speakers, you should still pay some attention to timbre matching for the surrounds as well (assuming that you have that option).

In my experience the two lines you mention have very different sounds and I for one, would not mix them. If you can’t find any Infinity models which meet your needs (size, mounting and timbre), try some other, non-horn speakers.

I don’t really have any particular suggestions other than that.

5. Mike_Thorn

Mike_Thorn Auditioning

Thanks Lew for the input. I listened to a set of RS-7 and you are right about the sound. Not sure its for me. Bright! Going to try another route I think. Thanks again.

6. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

Check out Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com). They are clearing out stock of Infinity Intermezzo speakers at good prices. The Intermezzo 2.6, bookshelf speaker with powered 6.5" woofer, could suit your needs. It is selling for half of list right now. The 2.6s are well reviewed and look sharp to boot.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Cir City did carry the Quad Infinitys that did pretty good for surrounds some time back. They provided a multidirectional sound much like the dipole/bipoles. Some small bookshelf infinitys would be ok if you were needing direct radiators. Placement with dipole/bipoles is sometimes a little more forgiving. I have recently gone from a direct rad to some Energy RVSS dipole/bipole and have been really pleast with the results.
    Good luck