What's new

Need help finding small diy speakers (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I recently had a chance to demo a friends diy speakers and loved everyone of them. I liked them so much in fact I bought one of the subs from him(3.3 cu ft sealed shiva). I don't really have the resources to go crazy building speakers boxes yet as I still live in an apartment. But I would like to build myself a set a nice surrounds speakers. I am looking for something rather small, that maybe incorporates a 4" driver and 3/4" or 1" tweeter. Would like to keep the box dimensions as small as possible. Not necessarily like bose cube small, but 5x8x5 would be a nice size. I can't find any small box speakers in my searches. Any help would be much appreciated. Not looking to spend much more than $100 for drivers and crossovers.

Thanks
Nick

Nick L

Second Unit
I was looking more for something that has a midrange driver and a tweeter. I am just not convinced that the little 3" driver can do highs well.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I can guarantee you'll be surprised by these. They are fantastic little drivers that don't lack for anything except low end. You already have the sub, the drivers are cheap, give them a try. Looking at your post again, it looks like you only want to build surrounds. You have a little more play budget at $50 a speaker, try the SuperElf setup. I think you can come close to that budget. I built all 5 of mine for a $100 budget, or very close, and couldn't be happier.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Nick,
I can appreciate your doubts but I've built several speakers with these drivers and they are quite remarkable. Go for it. You won't be disappointed. If you like you can look at what I've done with them.
Tim F's Audio Page
Also see Creative Sound
My music setup consists of the modified ELF1.5's assisted by an 8" sub in a TL in a 20 x 22 room with an 11 foot ceiling. It sounds surprisingly good.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Long live the RAD Micros and the HF Soundwerks BozeBusters!

Oops, sorry, got carried away - been out in the garage applying contact cement and gorgeous rosewood veneer to a pair of towers accompanied by a couple of nice German beers whilst watching the goblins pass by..

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Well sure, here's Brian's Link Removed

Hank,
You and others have mentioned the Bozebusters several times but I've never seen them. Got pics?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

Hank and I designed the Micros/BozeBusters together so other than finish, they should look pretty much the same. :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Tim, as Brian says, they're the same speaker. I've done 'em in oak, natural and rosewood stained, faux snow leopard fur (honest), red hammered metal finish spray paint and black ash vinyl. I have a pro photographer coming over tomorrow to take some "real" photographs of some of my speakers, so good photos are in my future.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

I hope to have some semi-professional pics taken soon. Rutledge is a very small town (approx. 1200 people) and a local woman is writing stories and taking photographs for the newspaper that's published in the neighboring town. Luckily, we've become friends with her and she's taking pics for us. Since the paper is paying her to "brush up" on her photographic skills, we can get pics taken for free for a while.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Cool, Brian, send me some. My photog, Karen, also plays clarinet in the Austin Symphonic Band as I do, and she's doing photography part time for extra income. 'Course it doesn't hurt that she's a very nice lady and a blonde:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks