Need help finding a cheap kit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Joe, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

I have a new baby at home and my wife was wanting to be able to play music in her room. We went to Target to look at cheap mini systems and I got to thinking if I would take the money I would spend on a cheap bookshelfsystem of alarm clock I could probably build some descent bookshelf seakers and run some wire from the living room through the attic into the babys room, mayby save some money, and definately have something with descent audio quality. What would you guys suggest in the $50 to $90 range per pair for drivers and crossovers. I tried Zalytron but their cheapest kits are $110 and up. Any suggestions are appreciated.

P.S. I don't trust myself to try building cossovers but boxes are no problem.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Try speakerpage.com

I have heard good things about their bookshelf kit and it's under $100 I think.

3. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Partsexpress introduced a kit while back that was supposed to be very good. It was a 2 way with 6 1/2" drivers. I think the price was around $100 and it came with the cabinet, drivers, crossovers and terminals. At the time they didn't offer it with out the cabinet, maybe they do now.

4. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

my surrounds will consist of av3's and that's it. dan wiggins said the new av3 in a small ported box could go from 100 hz to 20 kHz. also, you don't need a crossover and they're very cheap.. probably $20 a piece. less than $50 and have pretty decent sound.

5. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

What kind of music does your baby listen to?
    Has she expressed any preference for ported or sealed?
    [​IMG]

6. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

the speakerpage.com kits (the shielded bookshelf and the full tower) are out of stock!

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If it's going in a babes bedroom why would you need the sheilded one. Especially since cheap is the objective. The non sheilded version of the bookshelf is $60 (oops, just looked, they up them to $67) and as far as I can tell identical except for the shielding. If you want add $30 to that and you don't have to assemble the crossovers or bother with cutting the front baffel.

9. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Gary, I'm the one that's been recommending SCH (Speakerpage) for a couple of years here. If they're out of stock, their value will be worth a reasonable wait.