Need help fast, have to give a talk tomorrow

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jon_Are, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm really stuck and decided to turn to y'all for some help.

I coached my daughter's softball team, and our awards banquet is tomorrow (Thursday) night. I have to speak and say a few words about each player.

Here's my problem: most of the girls tried hard, had fun, learned stuff, etc. They'll be easy to speak about. There are a couple, though, that have me stumped as to what to say on their behalf.

These two girls contributed next-to-nothing to the team. They are poor players who showed no improvement over the course of the season, and demonstrated no interest in learning the game. Their attendance was spotty - both missed several practices and a handful of games. When they did show up, they were frequently distracted and showed no enthusiasm whatsoever, in practice nor during the games. They often seemed as if they wished they were elsewhere.

I'm desperately searching for just a few sentences for each that would convey something positive. So far, the only thing I can think of to say is that they never complained (I don't think they cared enough to register a complaint).

These are 5th and 6th grade girls. Their parents will be at the ceremony.

Any suggestions at all??

Thanks!

Jon

2. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Tough one Jon. The way you describe the girls' involvement/attitudes it sounds as if maybe their parents were pushing them to play. Did you ever discuss the situation with the parents, or the girls?

Obviously you have to be nice/diplomatic but I'm not sure what words to use when "never complained" is the only positive you can think of. Sounds like you're gonna have to fake it big time. Good luck.

3. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Jon in these cases you have to say something nice. YOu have to say attitude was good, they gave their best. It takes all players to make a team. There parents may have made them play

Everyone in the room will know they were piss poor players and know you have to make them feel special in some way.

Its a tuff one but you can do it. Remember everyone in the rooms knows what they did.
    David

4. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

This is one of those times that honesty is not the best policy. [​IMG]

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Is there some funny anecdote you could tell about the girls instead of fishing for a compliment? Something funny they did, not in a bad way, but something that the team got a kick out of and would get a nice laugh from the audience.

Maybe they were the teamates who kept the mood light and fun during practice. There must me some interesting story involving the two that happened during the season.

8. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I'm not going to make any claims or insinuations, but I am reminded of a coach I had who for some reason decided he didn't like me. I was only in the 5th grade yet it was very clear. I've never really been able to figure why. It did dampen my enthusiasm and pretty much ruin the experience for me. The years before and after (with different coaches) I was a fine player, but this joker had me on the bench half of most games. The best day I ever had was at a practice game when I stole home and canned his son who was standing right on the plate. Damn that felt good! I would say that you have to be particularly careful that the girls don't walk away with the opinion that you cared any less for them than any of the other girls. Remember, it is just a game and is less important to some than others - but that does not make those people any less important. Particularly in grade school. Kind words should never be too hard to find to describe anybody - they do not have to be specifically about baseball. "Anytime Kelly showed up the team seemed to play that much better. She seemed to be able to make ths sun shine just a little bit brighter".

9. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer