What's new

Need help fast! (cut-out dimensions for Shiva & vent) (1 Viewer)

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I'm building my box and I won't get to go out to buy the 4" vent until my wife arrives home late tomorrow evening. I'd like to go ahead and cut the hole in the piece of wood that will act as both an internal brace for the box and a support for the end of the 4" vent. I'm going to use PVC. I assume the walls of the PVC are 1/8", which would make a cut-out hole of 4 1/4, but I need confirmation. Can someone tell me what the outside dimension is? I can make the hole a little too big and just shim it once I get the PVC, but too small would be a BIG no-no! Also, can someone tell me what the cut-out hole size is for the 12" Shiva woofer? Do all 12" woofers usually have the same cutout? I'm guessing it would be 11".

Thanks!

Jim

Cam S

Screenwriter
The radius of the FP4 vent is I believe 3.13 inches, and the Shiva is 5.5 inches. If you wanna be sure, get one of the Vented Shiva Application files in PDF format on the Adire website. On there, they show you the exact radius and cutout size needed for both. The 95L and 142L box's use the 4" port.
For the PDF files:
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/shiva_apps.htm

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yep, you got it right on both counts, Jim. You can get thicker PVC, but 1/8" is the easiest to work with.

Which alignment are you going with?

DJ

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I never cut a hole until I have the parts on the premises. You may get lucky and get it right, but when you get it wrong for being impatient, you invent plenty of new cuss words...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I agree with Pat on this one. With my sub project I just finished, I made test cut outs for the driver mounting, the port flare, everything before I touched the final pieces! Sure it was 2x the work, but I knew it would be perfect when I was ready for the final cuts/routes. Be patient and do it right the first time. It's better than having to do it all over again.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ya do it right the first time. I'll be practicing all my routes and cuts before hand!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks