Need help designing a new box sub to replace my sonosub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ron-P, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Currently I have a 177L 15" Tempest Sonosub (24" x 36") with 2-17" flared ports and is powered by a 250w PE.

Due to the up and coming redesign of the theater I cannot use this large sub. I need to build a box sub, more so, a rectangular one. The area it will go is under the rear futon. The area is roughly 6' long, 1' high and 3' deep. I'd like, if it's possible, to build a box to fit in this area and achieve the same base results.

Is it possible?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sure...you'll have close to 500 liters of space available in that space you talked about which is huge! I'd actually be tempted to buy another tempest and go dual's since you've got the space for them. You won't quite hit EBS with two but you'll have much more headroom and it'll still be very impressive.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I don't need to go duals the one now puts out more then enough base for the room.

My issue is properly designing the box so I can get the same good base. I no nothing of box design.

My current sonosub hits 17Hz and I'd like to keep that with the new design.

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    After doing some calcs, my current sonosub is roughly 9.4cf. I can build a box that is 4'long, 2'deep and 1.2' in height which gives me 9.6 cf. I can upfire mount the Tempest and side port the box with my current port kit and all should work out and not change my base quality much, I hope.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

So long as the volume remains the same your port length won't have to change. I'd still consider building an EBS alignement though since you have the volume at hand.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'll try, I have do take some good measurements to make sure I've got the space. I'm rough guessing at what I have available right now.

I figure I'd be better off building the box taller, say 18" and mounting the Tempest on one side and mounting the ports on the other. Basically, it'll be exactly like my sonosub, just square instead of round.

7. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

8. Chris Bates

Chris Bates Stunt Coordinator

Why dont you just build a cradle to hold your sono sub? It wont hurt it to lay it on its side......Bazooka Tubes have been doing it for years [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

aside from the fact that bazooka tubes suck, putting a sonosub on its side is fine, but i dont think that his futon is 24" off the gound.

Add me on for one vote:EBS

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Where is the sub located now?

Sub placement and the room gain that comes with it can really change FR and spl.

Even if you build the exact same sub, it's NEW placement might provide very different FR/Spl results.

You might move the sub "temporarely" as close to the loction your planning to put it. (Lay it down & plot it's FR at the listening position), then compare it to it's current locations FR.

A BFD/Pari-EQ can certainly help if major issues in FR change at the listening position, but it's something I'd definitely test out to see what happens with the bass response.

EBS might be the way to go or the dual Tempest might be something to look at also. You'll certainly have a much better idea of whats going to happen to your bass response once you move the sub & measure it first at that New location.

JM 2-cents
    Regards
    Geoff ¥

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Currently the sub is on it's side underneath the screen. And no, it won't fit under the futon, I've got less then 18" of clearance.

Once the screen wall is built the sub will remain in front of it, basically in the same spot it sits now until I can figure out what to do with it. I just don't want it to sit out in front of the screen wall as it will detract from the look. I also cannot move the screen wall out farther to hit the sub behind it as the screen image will get too small and I cannot move my PJ back any farther.

I may just do away with a sub box completely and try and IB setup and see how that works before I build a new box. If that does not work I may just build a box that will fit behind the screen wall somehow.

For now, I need to get the screen wall done and play around with the current sub and locations and go from there. As you said Geoff a new location may cause problems, something I did not think about.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Ron:

I didn't mean to put it under the Futon, as I know it won't clear given the rough measuements given. I meant, place it as close to where it will be if a new box was to be built.
    Even putting the sub in the place of the futon, (ie) remove the futon from it's place, or (raise it up to clear it). Then take some measurments, even with no futon in place, probley wont affect FR to awful much..

I understand your situation a little better/clearer now and would highly recomend an IB if you have the room to put one in. I dislike subs placed in the rear of the room, or close to the seating position. I much prefer, no matter the type sub, front of room placement..
    Its just my opinon, this no matter the type of designed sub, how good the blend/phasing/FR to the rest of the system, etc.

I'm sure your aware of the IB cult page and the many many many different designs that are their. These might/could give you some ideas for a simple IB design type & placement, this if you where to consider this approach with your new room setup.

Hope that you can figure something out that will work "well for you and your room situation" (doing the smallest amount of work)...! [​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff ¥

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I think I will chase down an IB design and give that a shot before anything else. If that fails, I'll build a box that will fit behind the screen wall and drop the idea of putting it under a futon or along the back row somewhere.

I did try the sub behind a couch many years ago and did not like the result and your comment just reminded me of that. I won't be so limited on a box design of I build it to fit behind the screen wall and that will keep the sub in it's current location for the most part.

14. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sounds like a plan to me! [​IMG]
    Pic's when it's finished please..

You might consider another new or used Tempest if doing an IB. Try it with just the one driver, but defineitly build the manifold to accept another one or more drivers..

I'll bet money if you go IB, you'll like what you hear and want a little more.

Yeah Martha S., ~{an IB-sub}~, oh yes, it's a very good thing! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Cheers
    Geoff ¥

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I will try a single config first. What I'd like to do is wall mount it. In the pic below where the AC unit is, is where I'd like to mount the Tempest. The AC unit is gone and a register is all that covers the hole for air intake. Can I build a box for inside the theater for the Tempest and have the magnet end sticking out of this hole? I don't have enough room to have a manifold sticking out as the garage door is only 14" away from the theater wall.

Any thoughts Geoff? Will a singel wall mount type IB design work?

[​IMG]

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

It will work fine and if you mount it directly to the wall the 14" depth is plenty. The advantage of two drivers is that they'll cancel each others vibration when mounted facing each other. I still think dual tempests is worth the minimal cost esp. for an IB. Its not just about added volume but keeping it clean.

17. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i say go ib it would be the eayest.

18. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sorry Ron I left for awhile and just got back home.

I see Andrew has answered your basic question already.

There are a number of ways you could do it, and I'm also with Andrew on grabbing another Tempest.

You might start a thread if others don't chime in here, on ~{Want an IB, whats the best appraoch for my room}~, or something to that extent.
    Thomas W and many others far more familar with mucho IB's and what might be possible for your room & could offer up suggestions on a few different ways of implamenting it in your room ~{given your set up restrictions}~.

No Question, IB is possible in your room!

Side Note:
    Man that angle pic of your garage makes that door opening look huge, like over 20ft or something.

Just how big/wide is that door???

Cheers
    Geoff ¥

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    It's a standard 16 footer. Just the deception due to the camera angle. I never noticed that before until you pointed it out.

I'll go ahead and start a new IB thread.