Need help - Denon AVR-2802 vs Sony STR-DA3ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kroll, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

Looking to finally make the move from Pro Logic to DD and don't have the $$ to spend on super high end receivers. Based on receivers priced around $800 I have narrowed it down to the Denon and Sony.

Does anyone have any insight on either. Please help the new kid.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would not go with the Sony. Denon would be a better choice, though if you listen to more music, Marantz would be even better.

You should listen to the Denon 3802, Marantz SR7200, Onkyo TX-DS797

3. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I have a 2802 and have been very happy with it. IMHO it sounds better than the Sony.

4. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

I would like to thank the both of you for your help on my issue. I was hoping to get some more help from the group, but I guess that do to the fact I can't spend $1500 on a receiver I am being overlooked.

Once again, thanks for your help.

5. Barry F

Barry F Auditioning

Unfortunately, it is like that on most specialty message boards. If you aren't talking about the extremely high end stuff that 2% of the board owns, 75% of the board wants and 23% of the board is just learning about it, then you won't be addressed with the courtesy that is shown to people trying to purchase $3k worth of equipment.

I don't own anything worth talking about, so this doen't apply to me. I am part of the 23% of the board that is just learning.

I've found quite a bit of useful info by searching, did you try plugging in the model #s to return some results?

6. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I would go with the Denon as well. But also look at the Marantz 6200 ($485 street price), same as the 7200 but without component switching and a few other minor features. And look at Onkyo 696.

7. John Garcia

John
    Actually, that is exactly why I bought my 6200. I don't need dual room, component switching, 12v triggers, 192K PCM, and whatever else it had beyond the 6200. I am very happy with this receiver!

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

scott -
    this is a tougher call because you're talking about the ES line, which is better quality stuff.
    however, i would still have to go with the denon. in my experience (i've sold both brands) the denon always seemed to have more "punch" then any other brand (including yamaha, onkyo, kenwood, etc.) btw - i own an onkyo.
    the sony's have lots of bells and whistles...i actually don't like that. i prefer a "cleaner" amp...the denon fits that bill nicely.
    i really think if you get the denon you will be very happy.
    regarding the number of responses. i don't think there is an elitist attitude here. i think everyone is pretty good about recommending receivers in all price ranges. i think very often it is the luck of the draw if you'll get replies or not. maybe no one is around, maybe the time of day isn't right...who knows! but try not to feel like you're being excluded just because of the gear your buying. i've posted some questions and gotten few replies, other times i've had threads go on for three pages.
    it just depends. if you don't get responses right away, give it some time. if your post disappears bump it back up and ask for more assistance. as long as you're cool about it no one will mind.
    [​IMG]

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget....
    OUTLAW
    JRS

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Are the Marantz SR-6200 and '7200 really the same except for features? Usually, companies differentiate receivers by more than just features. This certainly isn't always the case, but it usually is. The Sony STR-V444ES and 'V555ES from last year are the same receiver, except the the 'V555ES comes with a fancy LCD touchscreen remote. Still, most companies differentiate receivers by power ratings and overall internal build quality in addition to feature sets. Is it being said here that the '6200 and '7200 have the same exact power supplies, DACs, capacitors, heat sinks, and internal layouts? Do the two receivers sound identical?

12. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Hey Scott Kroll!

Nice problem to have. I'm looking at the Sony da5es, Onkyo 797/898, Yamaha 2200, and the Denon 3802.

I've seen the 5es for $900 and it has dolbyII.

Boy this is getting tough. The Yamaha 3200 is to be out soon.

If price is a big factor, I think the Onkyo 797 and Denon 3802 are good choices.

A thousand or not a thousand/that is the question that tries mens souls.

13. John Garcia

John
    By the way, do a search on DA5ES, there is a known bug in the video passthrough. I would NOT recommend the new ES models at all.

14. Earl Simpson

PS/ I have seen the 797 in the $738 range and the 3802 for $696. Denon (Yamaha too)is very nasty on dealerships and who can sell. I will probably go with Sony da5es or Onkyo 797/898 because of the dealership issue.

JR and several internet sites are authorized dealers and have free shipping if you persist.

15. Earl Simpson

I have not seen a single review on the 5es. Where is this video pass info located so we can check it out. I have seen people in another forum say its a great rcvr. So please help me find the data on this problem!
    Thanks![​IMG]

16. Scott Kroll

Scott Kroll Agent

I to thank everyone for all of their help. I have actually made up my mind and I am going with the Denon 2802. The 3802 has a little more still have an old Denon 1200 Pro Logic receiver that I have never had any problems with so I'm sure upgrading to the 2802 will put a nice smile on my face.

17. John Garcia

John

18. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Congrats on the new Denon, you'll be happy. What speakers are you going to run?

19. Earl Simpson

Thanks/read them all. So it sounds like a great rcvr except for the svhs minor problem. I run all my stuff direct to my multi input RPTV(3 sets of componant, 4 sets of SVHS, 4 sets of RCA, 3 coax, 1 set of componant outs)So I never use the rcvr for video since I bought the new beast for my family room.

20. Earl Simpson

ps/ Geo says he prefers the 5es to the 898 and the 4802! He owns all 3.