What's new

need help deciding (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi guy

With all due respect, the Denon 2807 is about the most highly regarded receiver around.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
First off, the DG1000 is a non-ES Sony receiver which is pretty much one of the LEAST regarded receivers on this and most other forums and among home-theater enthusiasts.

The DG1000 is also widely regarded as having the poorest upconversion and scaling of any HDMI receiver out there. I would say the Denon is probably the best in the class in regards to HDMI switching (no known issues, everything works right) and a very robust amp as well. I prefer the sound of my Pioneer Elite but a carry-in firmware upgrade is required to get all of the HDMI features working 100% correctly. I'm willing to get this done to have what I feel is the best of both worlds but many aren't. For those folks the Denon is really the best option available... and a VERY good option at that.

hirt

Auditioning
Real Name
jose

Excuse-me Mr. Hopkins, but I doesn´t know nothing about speakers, surround and sub woofer, cause it I´m purchasing first HD-DVD and receiver. I doesn´t looked, and haven´t ideia, about anyone speakers and sub. My propose is get help to choose good speakers and a sub, to make great combination with the equipament.

Tanks Mr. Hopkins
Hirt

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Hirt

I am not speaking for Mr. Stephen Hopkins

I can recommend the AV123 X-Series of speakers. I have an X-Sub on order in White Shadow Maple. The entire X-Series is sold out until 3/8/07. A system composed of the X Series would be beautiful and a very very good set-up. I can also recommend the HSU VTF 2.3 subwoofer. It is a great sub at a great price. Please keep in touch with me.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Hope i didn't come accross wrong, I was just making sure you did intend to have speakers and a subwoofer to use with the receiver, otherwise the main purpose of the receiver would be lost. Beleive it or not people around here have had stranger misconceptions about what gear they needed.

hirt

Auditioning
Real Name
jose

Mr. Hopkins

I want more to wacth DVD films and listen musics.

Tank's

sdallnct

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I got to say this is one of the better threads/information I have found on receivers. Excellent! Just Excellent. Not only good information, but in a way that is understandable.

For the first time I have multiple items with HDMI and my projector only has one HDMI input. I was about to order a simple HDMI switcher when I started reading about the issue of audio being carried over HDMI (one of my sources is a PS3) and my receiver has no HDMI inputs. I currently have about a four year old H/K that I love and has excellent sound.

So it appears that if I want to take advantage of the new "loss-less" audio on the PS3 I have no choice but to get a receiver that will accept and process audio over HDMI. Do I have that correct?

Being a H/K fan, I have my eye on the new AVR 247. I know few can comment on it since it is not out yet. But I was curious how folks might think it stacks up against the Marantz SR4001. Looks like both units are in a similar price point.

Lastly a somewhat silly question: Most of these units have but 2 HDMI inputs. What do you do if you have more then two HDMI sources and only one HDMI on your display? I realize you can get a HDMI switcher, but then you cannot get lossless audio off a PS3, correct? Can you loop the OUTPUT on the receiver to an input on a HDMI switcher and then the output on the switcher to your display? Would then the receiver process the audio and feed the video to your switcher?

Thanks!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Scott,

You just need a receiver with HDMI 1.1 or higher to get lossless audio. The lossless audio is currently processed within the source of the signal (the HD-DVD player, PS3, etc) and not actually in the receiver. I believe receivers are coming that will do the processing.

I haven't looked at the 247 yet so I can't comment.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Stephen,

Any thoughts on the HK 247 in comparison to some of the others discussed in this thread? It is available now and looks pretty good at $499 or so.

I got away from looking at receivers until I picked up a PS3 and well, that happened today so now I have the itch for lossless audio so I'm looking to replace my Rotel 1055.

Any thoughts?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't replace a quality unit like the 1055 w/ a $500 unit because of losless audio over HDMI. I think you'll notice an overall loss of sound quality that will negate the advantage of losless audio. To replace a 1055 I'd look at least in the $1000 retail range... something like the Denon 2807, Pioneer Elite 82TXs, or an upcomming model like the Denon 2808 or Onkyo SR805.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Now Stephen, thats not what I wanted to hear when I have the itch to change equipment but only a limited budget :)

I feel I can get about $500 or so for the Rotel 1055. After picking up the PS3, I can pretty much only use what I can get for the Rotel to put back into something else.

Trust me, I don't want to give up my Rotel audio quality but I do feel like everything is headed down an HDMI path which my Rotel will obviously never have.

I do have a Rotel 1075 amp sitting in a box (in an apartment now so I don't feel like I need the amp). If I brought that in and paired it with something like the HK, do you think that would help any? Or is the audio processing in the Rotel just that much more superior than the HK?

Thanks,

Neal

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since you have a 1075 that does change things... you'll just need to make sure the HK has 5ch pre-outs since many lower priced units don't... it's hard to tell from the low-res pic of the back of the 247 on amazon but based onthe location of connections and comparing it to high res pics of the back of the 245 it looks like it DOES have pre-outs (bottom left back) for all channels so you should be just fine.

Another high-quality low-cost unit that has 2 HDMI and pre-outs is the Marantz SR4001... can be had around $400 online.

Good luck, and let us know how it sounds!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Yes, it definitely has pre-outs. The info about the new line is available on HK's website if you go here: http://harmankardon.com/category.asp...try=US&cat=REC
and then click on "Show PreRelease for All Regions".

One reason for considering this HK is it is available locally for the same price as online, give or take a few bucks for tax.

According to some folks over at AVS, some of the HK 247's and 347's are experiencing "crackling" on multichannel PCM which is not good at all. It doesn't seem like it is every unit and apparently HK is aware of the problem and has offered atleast one person an exchange. So since everything has some flaw, this being pretty major since the whole reason for getting it is for MPCM, I figured I would buy locally so I could exchange it.

Now to find a buyer for my Rotel so my fiance' will let me buy the new one :)

Neal_C

Second Unit
I got the 247 hooked up but have only been able to squeeze in some tv and a few minutes of a DVD just to check things out. I hope to have time tomorrow to check for "crackling" with MPCM.

So far, I don't think I have lost any audio quality. So for now, I don't think I will clutter my rack up with my amp.

For the price, I will give the 247 a thumbs up.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Well if your 1075 is taking up too much space I'll take it off your hands... I won't even charge you! lol... good luck w/ the 247, keep us posted as you get some more time with it!

Neal_C

Second Unit

But I would certainly have to charge you...LOL :)

If the 247 continues to impress, I may actually sell my 1075 and let someone else enjoy it. I know its lonely and will probably continue to be so for the next 8 to 10 months while I am in an apartment.

I need to fire up a Blu-Ray and check for crackling from MPCM. I bought the only 247 in Austin, TX that Best Buy shows in inventory so I'm hoping I don't have a buggy unit.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Well, after testing several discs I have a perfectly working 247. No crackling for my unit. I'm loving the sound just as much as I enjoyed the Rotel. For less than $500 with a 4 year warranty, it does a spectacular job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks