What's new

need help deciding (1 Viewer)

TxScott

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the advise between the Onkyo and the Denon.
Talking about the Pioneers though....Dont they still have HDMI and LFE issues?
If they do not Im going to look more that way, but if they are still having the problems, it just doesnt seem worth it? Right?
Thanks

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
There are firware fixes for those, but you have to get your receiver to a service center that can update the firmware. Most of the newer manufactured ones though are already fixed as I understand it.

sierranevada

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff
This discussion is very helpful! I'd appreciate some information on the Onkyo 674 from one of the many experts here who has access to one.

I have a DVD player with a DVI output. I plan to connect to the Onkyo with a DVI-HDMI cable which will not be carrying audio, just video, due to the DVI. So here's the question: when you configure the Onkyo to assign a HDMI input to the DVD input selector, does it allow you to select a different type of audio input? Or does it force your audio input to be HDMI also? My goal would be to assign the DVD button to HDMI video and optical audio inputs.

I've checked it out pretty carefully, but the manual is unclear on this point. Thanks in advance for you help!

hirt

Auditioning
Real Name
jose
What is the difference bethween HDMI 1.1 and 1.3?

Someone knows if the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSE have it?

We should to look for a receiver with this feature or doesn't mater?

Thank's
Hirt

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Some people will make a HUGE deal out of HDMI 1.3... but if you look closely it's not really that big of a deal. HDMI 1.3 adds the ability to pass undecoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master for the receiver or processor to decode (and to do so raises the bandwidth). This isn't really that big of a deal since all HD-DVD and BluRay players decode both formats and can pass them via 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM. HDMI 1.3 also adds DeepColor and a wider colorspace, both of which are not supported by any current display.

The 81TXv, 82TXs, and 84TXsi all have HDMI 1.2a.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You have a pretty big budget range there... as low as $650 for the Onkyo SR804 up to around $1500 for the HK 745. They all have their pros, cons, and eccentricities.

The model with the least HDMI issues and priced middle-of-the-pack is the Denon 987 / 2807. The SR804 is probably the best value at $650 but has some flicker issues w/ 1080p signals (not an issue w/ your projector). The Elite 82TXs and 84TXsi have HDMI LFE and Video artifact issues but these are remedied by a walk-in firmware update or buying one w/ a build date of January or later. The Elites and the HK add scaling of 480i signals to 480p, 720p, or 1080i. All the others deinterlace 480i to 480p. All those mentioned upconvert composite, s-video, and component to HDMI.

HDMI 1.3 isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. BluRay and HD-DVD players decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master to 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM so decoding on the receiver isn't really necessary.

Do you have a more focused budget? What will your sources be? What kind of speakers / sub will you be using? Answers to these questions will help us answer better.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Stephan,
Good list on page 1 and very helpful. Do you know how each of them handles the LFE -10dB issue over HDMI that has been reported from HD-DVD/BRD?

I need a new receiver for a 5.1 system (room is too small for 7.1). Only plan to have 2 HDMI components (HD D*, HD-DVD/BRD), but may want 3 just for future expansion. Don't expect to need upconversion.

Would really like a receiver that is RF remote capable so I can place it in a cabinet.

I'm not in any hurry. Receiver will be the last purchase, for an August finish.

Should I wait to see how things shake out with this LFE issue and future releases?

Thanks.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
Oh, a question that goes along with this. If I'm only using 5.1 and am receiving 7.1 source through HDMI, so I need a receiver that can "decode to 5.1"? Any difference in just buying a 7.1 and not hooking up the rears or sides?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
On the -10db LFE issue... the Denon 2807, Yamaha 6090/1700/2700, and Pioneer Elite 81TXv are free from this bug out of the box. The Pioneer 82TXs and 84TXsi do have the bug (unless you get one built from January 2007 or newer) but the bug is fixable with a carry-in firmware update (and board swap on the 82TXs (the firmware update also fixes some HDMI video artifact issues). The Onkyo doesn't appear to have the bug but I can't confirm that.

MGD

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Stephen Hopkins said:
The model with the least HDMI issues and priced middle-of-the-pack is the Denon 987 / 2807. The SR804 is probably the best value at $650 but has some flicker issues w/ 1080p signals (not an issue w/ your projector). The Elite 82TXs and 84TXsi have HDMI LFE and Video artifact issues but these are remedied by a walk-in firmware update or buying one w/ a build date of January or later. The Elites and the HK add scaling of 480i signals to 480p, 720p, or 1080i. All the others deinterlace 480i to 480p. All those mentioned upconvert composite, s-video, and component to HDMI.

QUOTE]

Very insightful information throughout this thread - to me I want to minimize wires and HDMI 1.2 is a must as long as it works properly. As such, I'm humming and hawing over the Pioneer 82 or 84, Yamaha 1700 or 2700 (good, but not as appealing to my ear as the Pioneers), or Marantz 7001 [awesome sound(+), more $$$(-), 2 HDMI outs(+), no scaler(-) and not as ipod friendly(-)]. Leaning toward Pioneer for IPOD, scaler capabilities but have not pulled the trigger over concern re the HDMI LFE and video issues. I am encouraged that units with build dates in Jan/07 & later have remedied the issue, as no Canadian dealers I've spoken with have access to the firmware update (or have any clue at all regarding this issue really).
Stephen, if you have a minute I'd like your perspective on a few points:
How confident you are on the intelligence that lfe & video issues are no longer in play for units produced this calendar year?
How useful do you find the scaler in your 82?
Any insight on the Marantz?
Thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
While I was using the 82TXs over component video (in my old HT room) I found its scaler very useful. In particular it did a better job scaling SDTV (especially analog channels) to 720p than either my HD cable box or projector. Once I get the firmware upgrade done I'll likely return to using the 82TXs' internal scaler for SDTV. All that said if I'd never tried the 82TXs' scaler for SDTV then it's something I could happily have lived without (and if any other receiver on the market was narrow enough to fit my shelf I still could live without it).

The newer units having these fixes already in place was first divulged by Pioneer through email requests and verified by some in the offical 82TXs and 84TXsi threads. If you can get ahold of one of these newer biulds I will highly reccomend it. The sound and build quality of the Elites are a step if not more above the Yamahas. The Denon and Marantz are both great choices as well... the SR7001 is available down around the price of the 82TXs, well below its $1500 MSRP.

MGD

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks - just realized I typo'd on the Marantz - while I looked at both the 7001 and 8001, if I buy Marantz it will be the 8001 which retails $400 higher than the Pioneer vsx-84txsi and $700 higher than the vsx-82txs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The SR7001 is likely more in the same league w/ the 82TXs and 84TXs... and the SR5001 is no slouch either. I don't see any features of the SR8001 that would make me consider it over the SR7001 (unless you're planning on using this for two rooms, both w/ HD displays).

MGD

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I hear you - the biggest difference is toroidal transformer which provides continuous 125 W to each channel - has a noticeable impact on depth of sound. Thanks again.

hirt

Auditioning
Real Name
jose
MR.Stephen Hopkins
I doesn't have anyone speakers. I'm thinking to buy HD-DVD XA2 and receiver Pioneer Elite 84TXsi.
I have a Sanyo PLV-Z4 and a screen 106" eletrical.

tank's

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Jose

I am not speaking for Stephen Hopkins...however, I can suggest speakers to consider...please keep in touch with me.

hirt

Auditioning
Real Name
jose

MR.Stephen Hopkins
I doesn't have anyone speakers. I'm thinking to buy HD-DVD XA2 and receiver Pioneer Elite 84TXsi.
I have a Sanyo PLV-Z4 and a screen 106" eletrical.

tank's

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Are you planning on purchasing any speakers? If so what speakers are you looking at? If not then why are you buying a receiver who's main purpose is to processes and amplify audio signals to be sent TO your speakers?

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the sony Strdg1000 its better than all those listed, maybe a Denon equal. I have the strdg800 and a 7100es, very very happy with both of those monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks