Need help deciding on SVS size?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris.dillon, Mar 6, 2002.

1. chris.dillon

chris.dillon Auditioning

After reading all the positive posts about the SVS subs I think I going to take the plung and order one. I would like some advice as to which I should get. I am in the process of finishing my basement and putting together a HT. The room is about 2400 sq ft (15x23x7). It has one opening about 4 feet wide in the corner of the back wall. I was considering the 25-31CS. Is this going to fill the room? I don't think 2 subs is an option.

Thanks,

2. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chris,
    Several ?'s What are your listening preferences? What is your budget like? If you like it loud and can afford it, I'd be tempted to move up to the cs+ or ultra lines if I were you (since you're considering just a single sub) You could probably go for a 20+ or 16+ and enjoy the lower extension while still getting reference/near reference levels in your room. (of course there are better experts than me around here that can give you an opinion on that)
    Oh, and never say 2 subs isn't an option unless you're REALLY sure. You'd be surprised how your thinking can change after you've got your first SVS. [​IMG]

3. chris.dillon

chris.dillon Auditioning

Thanks for your response and I may go with the CS+.

Where in the room should I place the sub? I want to do inwall wiring when the time comes.

When hooking up the SVS to the amp, (I'll probably get the Samson) if I add a second amp at a later date does it run off the 1st or should I run 2 cables to the location I am going to use them?

I have read several threads on wiring and I'm confused. Can I just run 2 lines of Coax from the equipment to the subs? The equipment will be in the left front corner and the door way is in the left rear. I await were to but the sub, but if it goes at the back right it's an awful long run ( 40+ feet ).

Thanks for any advice,

4. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I'm not exactly sure about your entire message, but let me answer what I can. The Samson amp has two channels, but only one would be used with one sub. So, if you buy a CS+ sub and the S1000, it would receive 500watts from channel 1. If you were to buy a second CS+, there is no need to purchase a second amp (the beauty of the passive sub/Samson amp combo). Just simply hook up the second sub to channel 2 and run it in parallel.

The subs are connected to the amp via speaker wire, therefore if you use simple 12ga cable, you can affordably run it wherever you need to for ideal placement. The kit also includes a 1 meter BetterCables interconnect to connect the mono sub output on your receiver to the S1000.

If you wanted to wire in-wall and potentially would want two subs, find the correct placements and run a speaker wire to each location (or two to the same location). Each passive sub would need its own speaker wire.

Ideally the corners make the best sub placement, and for dual subs, put them in the same corner, but you have to experiment to find the best placement for your room. I hope this answers some of your questions.

5. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    Joe has pretty much answered everything you asked. I would just recommend that if you have the chance to do pre-wiring during construction that you try to keep open all of your options. Put in two runs of 12 gauge speaker wire for the subs, even if you're only getting one right now. I'd make the wire extra long, leaving the extra in the wall, so that you don't end up too short if you have to change the placement. Also go ahead and do all of the wiring for other options you might not be doing now, like extra surround speakers, etc. Similar to what I said about not ruling out 2 subs, I've found that things I never thought I would need to worry about now rear their head down the road (like running out of digital inputs on my receiver, or wanting pre-outs for the rear speakers [​IMG] )

6. Warren N

Warren N Auditioning

Chris,

I have a 25-31cs (tuned to 22hz) driven with one channel of an old Nikko [email protected] amp. The sub is in the front corner and the main seating position is about 10' away against the back wall. This setup definitely fills my 3000+ cu ft. room nicely. I cannot get to reference with it, but I can get it loud enough for my wife to object with most movies. It will rattle dishes in the dining room without sweating. I have not ordered the new driver yet, so the new ones are probably capable of even more output than mine.

I would think that the 25-31cs would have be sufficient for your room, but if you’re in doubt, the cs+ is not that much more. If the cs+ was out when I bought mine, I would have spent the extra $$ and got it.