Need help deciding on a TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Anthony+P, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Anthony+P

Anthony+P Auditioning

Hey guys... I was wondering if it might be possible for some of you guys to recommend a TV for me. I am coming from a pidly 27" TV now that has gotten me by through all 4 years of college and I think that it's definetly time for an upgrade.

I am looking at all the different technologies and still don't know what to choose. Let's just say that Plasma is nice but still too expensive for my taste.

I know LCD is nice, but may not display black as dark as it should be (it displays more of a dark grey). LCD has no issues with burn in.

DLP is also very nice doesn't have the grey issue that LCD has but I heard the quality of the picture isn't as nice as LCD. DLP has a faster refresh rate for the pixels... LCD is still slow (right around the 20-30ms rate) while DLP is about twice as fast.

Does DLP have issues with burn in?

I don't really care about computer use and I would like a screen size of around 42" or more and try to spend $2500-$3000.

Any help you guys can contribute is always appreciated. I don't know whether to go with a LCD, DLP or just a regualr projection TV. It would be ideal to have something like an LCD or DLP just for the sheer fact that i's thinner and easier to move. I also might add that I am in an apartment right now for the next 6 months or so... I need something that should work in an apartment and be used for later use in a house.

Thanks!!

2. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Get yourself the best rear projection TV ever made IMO...

This technology is at its peak while DLP and LCD are clearly in the toddler stages.

I bought a Pioneer Elite 530HDI for $2400, and haven't looked back since. You won't get a better picture for the price. PS - This is a 53" size.

Burn-in is an issue, but not if you're careful. Also, black levels cannot be matched by other technologies.

3. Anthony+P

Anthony+P Auditioning

Perry,

Thanks for the advice... I have a friend who has a Mits 46" RPTV and is super worried about burn in. He has an AVIA setup disk but is so worried about burn in he has his contrast all the way down. The movies seemed always dark and not enjoyable to the eye (well, my eyes atleast).

Is he being overly paranoid or is that something that you would constantly have to watch and baby over?

4. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

I think he is overly paranoid as you said. If you play video games a lot I would be a bit worried but you did not mention that. Some TVs are better than other in terms of burn-in affects... From what I have read Pioneer is among the best in defending it.

I'm willing to take that chance because I just don't think PQ of LCD/DLP can compare to a good RP unit. No contest. I looked at TVs for 2 months straight and said forget it! I'm getting the best RP I can find.

5. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

I purchased a LCD RP set after considering DLP RP and initially planning to get a 36" 4:3 then a 34" 16:9 CRT. While the CRT RP may provide the "truest" colors and black levels, I think people get too wrapped around the axle on "black levels". If you can find a good vendor, audition a set in your home for 30 days to see what you like.
    YMMV