Need help deciding on a TUBE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Atho, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Atho

Atho Agent

Hey all, new to the fourm, looks really cool so far!
    Anyways, for X-Mas, i've been put in charge of deciding what to get for our home theatre. My dad's biased for a tube so looks like that's what I goatta look at.
    Primarly, it'll be used for regular cable televison at first, and when we get our DVD player and surround package, DVD's. Price should not be over 4000 canadain. I'm looking for something that'll last us at least 5 years, which might be widescreen. But when I went to the local store, the widescreen showing DVD's looks really blocky and low-res around people when the camera was moving. Can someone explain this?
    I really like the Sony XBR 36" but the majority of the fourm seems to like Toshiba. I'm looking at HD and the DVD player will have Progressive-scan. Can anyone reccomend something that is suited to my needs?
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Atho

Atho Agent

Bump!

Please guys!

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You can get the Sony for $4K or get the Toshiba 36" 4:3 for 3K or the Tosh 34" 16:9 for 3K

You can get the PAnny 36" 4:3 for $3.5K

All are essentially the same when it comes to performance.

An RPTV will give you more bang and can show more detail than any of these tubes. But more temperamental too. More tweaking required.

Sometimes things look bad in stores because they simply are not set up right. What a shock that one is ...

Regards

4. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Is Canada switching over to DTV/HDTV in parallel with the US or is each country doing their own thing?

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Clueless ...

But local cable systems are making their own plans ... potentially HD PPV ... within the next year or so ...

Regards