What's new

Need Help Deciding on A Sub issue (1 Viewer)

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Hi guys,

I hope I am in the right place. Here is my subwoofer issue. I have a Sony SA-WM20, 8" front firing subwoofer. Nothing special. I paid $99 dollars for it. When watching a movie or playing a video game I get a slapping or wrapping sound from the sub as if it were blown. But I don't get this while listening music. I am using a Sony STR-DE545 receiver.

I am looking to replace the sub with a Klipsch Synergy 10" Sub. My budget is around $400. I know this is a bottom firing Sub. Does it make a difference? Is there a better sub for the money?

What do you think the problem is with the Sony and What should I look out for when buyng a new Sub?

I appreciate your attention to this matter.

Thank You,
Dennis

John Gates

Second Unit
Wow, Dennis... Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Sub. Those little Sonys are actually pretty good for the $$. Sounds like the driver is having problems (maybe bottoming out, maybe damaged). Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in on symptoms.

As far as bang per buck subs in the $400 range, I would suggest you look at the Craigsub ranking list as a place to start your shopping. Here are a few that are around that pricepoint (point values are movies-music):

AV123 MFW-15 ($599 ID): 103 points (53-50)
Epik Valor ($549 ID): 91 points (44-47)
Hsu VTF-3 Mark III w/o Turbo ($699 ID): 91 points (45-46)
SVS PB12-NSD ($599 ID): 86 points (43-43)
Hsu VTF-2 Mark III w/o Turbo ($499 ID): 86 points (40-46)
Elemental Designs A2-300 ($350 ID/SI): 83 points (44-39)
SVS PB10-NSD ($429 ID): 83 points (43-40)

I hope this helps!

John

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
John,

Thanks for the quick response. Someone else told me that the sub sounded like it was bottoming out also. If that is the case what can I do? Is there a solution? Does that mean that the sub is damaged or it's just not able to handle the base my system is putting out?

Dennis

John Gates

Second Unit
It could be either situation (damaged or simply pushed past its limits). one thing you can try... play the scene where you hear the noise. If you have gain control on the amplifier, replay the scene but with lower gain. Repeat until you don't get the offending sound. If the sound reproduces at levels you just know are too low, you probably have a damaged driver. Your previous experience with the sub will be a subjective guide.

If the driver is damaged, only solution is to replace the driver (which is cheaper than replacing the sub). But it might be a great excuse for a nice upgrade. :)

Strange though that you're not also getting the problem with music. Hmm...

John

maskman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
Thanks John, I'll try your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
If you have a receiver with a crossover for a subwoofer, I think you should seriously consider the SVS PB-10 NSD. For about $485 delivered, it will be so dramatically different than what you have now, it isn't even funny.

Flat to at least 19Hz in your room. No waiting list like some of those on the list compiled by Craig Chase. You would have to wait until July for some of those mentioned on the list developed by Craig Chase.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
The majority of rock and pop music has little if any bass below @35Hz. But many modern action/adventure movies & video games DO contain such frequencies (sometimes to below 20Hz) & smaller subs at the Sony's price point just do not have the mechanical capability to properly reproduce those extremely powerful sound effects. So I am 99% sure that what you're hearing is the woofer slamming against its internal stops while trying to recreate those effects.

Smitty4ut

Grip
Real Name
Tony
Another Sub you might consider is the Outlaw LFM-1 Compact. I just purchased one, and I am very pleased so far. My wife has even made several comments. I had the tv on with Independence Day playing last night. We had gone up to the kitchen which is above my HT. The sub was vibrating the floor. It is a 10" down firing sub that Outlaw rates to 25Hz +-2db. It will drop below 20Hz in your room. I believe that it is $349.00 no tax and free shipping right now. It blows away the two 8" down firing, front ported JBL I had away. The problem is that unless you know someone who has an SVS or a Outlaw sub, there is no way to hear it for your self. Both SVS, and Outlaw have a grace period that if you don't like it you can return it. Also both companies seem to have very good reputations. Hope this helps.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...es/popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

I second the vote on the Outlaw, it was my choice until I got "approval" for a bigger sub :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks