Need help deciding between Sony or Toshiba

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Moon, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I am looking at both the Tosh 50H81 and the Sony 51HW40

Both look like nice sets, and have heard nothing buy praise for Toshiba sets. Any news on the Sony? Will be getting a set in about three weeks.

2. Mike L-field

Mike L-field Agent

Both are good looking sets for sure. You should be able to get a Toshiba HX model for the same price as the Sony or less. If I were going to choose between the Sony and the Tosh HX I would pick the Tosh. If you want more detailed info, check out the forums at Hometheater spot. com

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'll be the dissenting voice. [​IMG]
    I had a Toshiba 50HX81 for 6 months and returned it for a Sony 57HW40. Immediately after setting up the Toshiba, I noticed a pronounced ringing around high contrast images. It looked very similar to edge enhancement. No amount of adjusting could get rid of it, and the better the signal, the more pronounced it was. Here's a link for more info. After examining 3 more Toshiba's at the store, each one exhibited the same problem, so I gave up and got a Sony. And I LOVE it. Some people either don't have the ghost line/ringing or they don't see it. I saw it on every Toshiba and it drove me nuts.
    But I will say this for the Toshiba: it is fantastic for displaying 480i signals. Much better than the Sony, where scan lines are clearly visible. So in the end, for me it comes down to which I value more: a great 480i signal, or a great 480p signal.
    -Dave
    P.S. If picture-in-picture/dual view is something that interests you, the Sony is faaar superior.

4. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't those "ghost lines" edge enhancements and related to the software and not the hardware?

5. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Nope, they aren't the typical edge enhancement that would be due to the software. They are plainly visible on test patterns & even on the border between the image in 4:3 mode and the "matted" sides. Note that SVM can be completely disabled and the problem is still apparent.

-Dave