Need Help Deciding Between 2 Recievers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Nov 17, 2002.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Nov 2, 1998

I'm trying to put together a small (about 10ft by 10ft) room system and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or experience with either of these two recievers. Any other suggestions around the range of these would be highly appreciated, but please let me know your opinions on either of these first. Thanks.

JVC RX-8020VBK
    120 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.08% THD
    100 watts x 5 min. RMS, into 8 ohms, 1kHz, 0.8% THD
    DVD Multichannel Audio Compatible (5.1 channel analog input and 5 separate amps) for connection to existing and future multichannel sources such as DVD Audio
    LCD Multi-Brand A/V Remote Control (VCR/TV/CATV/DBS)
    Dolby Digital Ex and DTS-ES and Dolby Prologic II decoders built-in for theater quality surround from digital sources
    Dolby Pro Logic II in Full Digital Processing

The JVC RX-8020VBK features premium performance with its high current power supply capable of handling 4 ohm loads, and a new high performance Motorola DSP. The new 24 bit DSP is capable of executing 150 million instructions per second (MIPS). This DSP power enables the RX-8020VBK to provide the highest level of accuracy in decoding Dolby Digital Ex and DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II. It also makes possible All Channel Stereo, and the JVC exclusive DAP soundfield. The RX-8020VBK also allows you to play your MP3 files directly from your PC through a front USB input. This new flexibility allows you to play music recorded on your computer with the greatest fidelity. Finally the RX8020 comes with HD component switching to allow the user to take full advantage of the switching capabilities even with HD signals.

Brand/Model: PAN SAHE100S
    Product Specs Specification
    Panasonic Surround Sound Receiver
    Labor/Parts 12/12
    Item Height in Inches 6.2
    Item Width in Inches 16.9
    Item Depth in Inches 14.8
    Front Power (Watts) 100 x 2 @ 8 Ohms
    Center Power (Watts) 100 x 1
    Surround Power (Watts) 100 x 3
    Bandwidth @ Rated Power 20Hz - 20kHz
    THD% at Rated Power .9
    Dolby® Pro Logic NO
    Dolby® Pro Logic II YES
    Dolby® Digital YES
    Dolby Digital EX (6.1) NO
    DTS ES (6.1) YES
    THX NO
    # DSP Modes 4
    Multi-channel Input 5.1
    # Component Video Inputs 1
    # Digital Coaxial Inputs 1
    # Digital Optical Inputs 3
    A+B Speaker Switching YES
    # S-Video Inputs 3
    Subwoofer Output YES
    Phono Input YES
    # AM/FM Tuner Presets Unavailable
    Remote Type Illuminated Universal Remote Control
    Video Display of Receiver Audio Settings NO
    Other Features Optical output; 96kHz/24bit Audio DAC
  2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Aug 15, 2002
    I wouldn't purchase either of these. What price range are you looking in?

3. Bill Street

Bill Street Stunt Coordinator

Jul 18, 2002
    I don't know the price on the two receivers you have listed, but I would believe similar priced receivers from Harman/Kardon, Onkyo, or Denon would give you a better quality receiver due to better build quality, high current capability etc.

Bill S.
  4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Jul 25, 2002
    I agree with others. Go with HK, Denon or Marantz in the same price range for better sound and performance.
  5. Cyrus_I

Cyrus_I Stunt Coordinator

Aug 20, 2002
    I agree. Although I would include Yamaha in that list as well.