What's new

Need help deciding Best HT Processor under 5K (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
This will be the largest single sum of money I’ve ever spent on a Hi-Fi component, so I’m planning on turning over every stone so to speak. I need a Processor that will play Multi channel Music and Movies with plenty of I/O's, and Analog Pass Thru (maybe 2). But most of all glitch free and upgradeable software, dead quite noise floor and very flexible multi output Bass Redirection. I have 4 subwoofers at different X-points and slopes now and it would be nice if the new Processor could take care of all my Bass Redirection.

Here are the Processors I’m considering, any comments or personal experience would be most appreciated.

1 Parasound Halo C2 http://www.audioholics.com/FAQs/ParasoundHaloC2.html

2 Classe SSP-60 http://www.avguide.com/product/Multi...SP-60/2489.jsp
3 Marsh HT-4000
http://www.allhometheater.net/marsoundesht.html

4 Moon Stargate
http://www.simaudio.com/moonstargate.htm

5 EAD Ovation
http://www.plazaaudio.com/eadtheatmaso.html

6 Anthem
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...0-12-2001.html

Maybe even a B&K or Rotel..

Thanks
KD

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend the Anthem AVM-20 which has THX Ultra 2 Movie and Music Mode processing, balanced outputs, multi-zone features, upgradeable software capability. It does have bass management for both Music and Movie sets of speakers too. The user has provisions for two centers and two subwoofers as choices. Flexible bass-management for DVD-Audio and SACD. Customizable options for the multi-room audio/video feeds. Processing is via the most current Motorola chip available. Set-up is user-friendly with an intuitive OSD menu. Anthem's customer service is first rate as well. Performance wise, I really enjoy the quality of the audio it produces mated with two Sunfire Cinema Grand amps. With the $1,500 leftover, you can get more gear or speakers! Hope I'm able to help. Good luck.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads up on the Anthem, I did some research and it seems like a top candidate, although I didn't find a local dealer so I don't know if I can get one to audition.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I don't think you can set up the 2 subwoofer outs of the AVM-20 with different crossovers. Don't know about the others, but I don't think this is a feature easily found in a HT controller.

Doug

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,

I assumed that the crossover for the sub applies to both and not separately although that would have been a nice touch.

Mike,

It's unfortunate you can't find a dealer so that you can audition one. It is a great item. Good luck with your choices.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
The Halo C2 has 2 programmable outputs that I think can be used for Sub outputs at different X-Points, and a separate output for tactile transducers, which I will need for my Bass Shakers. It's starting to look like the Halo is my only choice.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Actually I have been eyeballing a used MC12B for a little more than I want to spend, but it might handle my Bass Management needs.

Mike,

Given your bass management requirements - If you can stretch to the Lexicon MC-12B - my advice would be "jut do it". I have researched about 15 HT processors extensively and the MC8 and MC-12's capabilities in bass handling are outstanding. With 3 DSPs plus an "extra" signal processor - it has the cycles to move bass from anywhere to anywhere and support lots of channels, including 3 independent sub channels, and filters that allow bass to be redirected from small speakers to large and then to subs. Built like a battleship - regularly upgraded, the Lexicon MC-12 is the reference HT processor for many magazines and has lots of fanatically loyal owners.

The only other processor that I am aware of that comes close for your bass management needs is the Parasound Halo C1 or C2 with it's 4 extra programmable channels that can do bass redirection (or any other type of signal redirection). Also (apparently) very nice :)

Geoff

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

From what you say, you want to practically eliminate the internal sub x-overs by setting them all at their maximum levels, and let the processor do your bass management. I see nothing wrong with feeding all these different subs with the same x-over point from the processor. If you want to individually adjust all of these different subs (x-overs and phase), you are up for a huge job with questionable results. The amount of the possible combinations and interaction with various speakers with in a room can be a brick wall. I would not even trust a SW to do this properly. Possibly the upcoming Lex 12 auto calibration can help, to be seen. I would use one x-over for all first and play with placements, a big job on its own.

My 2 cents.

GK

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I have no idea which prepros can handle 4 different crossovers, but there are few more prepros in your price range since you said you want to turn over every stone...

Naim (i highly doubt it can handle your BM needs, but its supposed to be very good)

Cary (2 models, limited info on them)

Simaudio

ATI

Krell

Not sure what the Bel Canto or the Audio Control goes for....

I would really look at the Cary...just cause I want some feed back ;)

Rich

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I think my biggest problem is Bass Management, I need to set the Front Speakers to “Large” but still have the subwoofer output act like the Front is set to “Small”. Basically I need some more overlap between the “Sub” output and the Front “Large” output. My processor (TAE9000ES) kills the Sub output when the Front is set to Large, and I’ve found that the bass coming from the Sub output is much stronger output when Front is set to Small in addition you have control over the level with the remote. I have total control over all my Fixed Levels and crossover points with my outboard Active units, now I just need to integrate this into a more user friendly (remote controlled) environment. According to a Tech Rep at Parasound the C2 has a feature called “Enhanced Bass” that should allow the sub output to be at full range regardless of other speaker settings, however there is no control over the dedicated Bass Shaker output.

I guss I just want too much.

My updated DIY web site Link.
http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddyke...s.html?1078331

Thanks for all the helpful replys, the Anthem is still in the running.
Kingdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks