Need help connecting Front Panel ports to MB

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff Jacobson, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The Front panel audio connector on my motherboard has these pins:
    AGND, +5VA, BLINE_OUT_R, (no pin), BLINE_OUT_L
    MIC2, MICPWR, Line out_R, NC, Line out_L

The case has these cables for the front panel audio connector:
    MIC-IN (Front Microphone input Signal), GND (Front Audio Ground), L-OUT (Front Left Channel Audio Signal), R-OUT (Front Right Channel Audio Signal).

Which cable connects to which pin, and why don't the number of pins match the number of cables? (I'm also having a similar problem with the front panel firewire port.)

Here are links to the manufacturers' websites where you can get some documentation.

Motherboard: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

Case: Enermax CS-EN517

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

A real pain in the ass that is. I recently had to do the same with my Antec P160. Why they just can't make it all in one connector instead of seperate pins is rediculous.

I also had an Asus motherboard, and I'm pretty sure the manual had a description of what pin goes where. The name in the manual and the name on the pin might vary, but not by much, so you can still get the idea of what one it is. Good luck.

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I managed to figure out how to connect the front USB ports this way before I posted, but I can't figure out the front audio and firewire. The motherboard's connector seems to have nine pins to connect the front audio panel, and the case only has four cables. Since there are more pins than cables, it's hard to figure out what cable goes to what pin. I'm guessing that the GND cable goes to AGND, but does the MIC-IN cable connect to the MIC2 or MICPWR pin? Does L-OUT connect to Line Out_L or BLINE_OUT_L, etc.?

4. Kelvin Tucker

Kelvin Tucker Stunt Coordinator

First the obvious, -- Don't worry unless you really plan on using these ports. I find that I never use the Front panel audio ports, but thats just my setup.

Second, you should have jumpers preinstalled between:
    L-Out -> Bline_Out_L
    and
    R-Out -> Bline_Out_R
    These route the sound to the back panel line out ports, and unless your case cables include a 2nd connection (mine does) you will lose sound on those ports.

Anyway, it should then be:
    Agnd -> Gnd
    Mic2 -> Mic-In
    Line_Out_R -> R-Out
    Line_Out_L -> L-Out

In the volume control panel, you will probably have to activate MIC2.

K