What's new

Need help connecting components - coaxial, component help! (1 Viewer)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Okay, so I have this recevier and this DVD player. If my TV doesn't have component video inputs, I can't utilize those, correct? What about the digital or optical connections? Am I limited to S-video and line-video inputs to the TV only? My TV has 3 video inputs, but only 1 S-video and 3 regular line in inputs.

Does that mean i'm in trouble, or is there a way to optimize these connections that I don't see?
Thank you very much for any help.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Basically you cannot use the component outs on the dvd. Hook it up with the s-video connection instead. If/when you upgrade your tv in the future you can switch to the component connection. As far as audio you can use either the optical or coax to hook it up to the receiver.

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Either Optical OR Coax? Which is preferred?

If I put the S-video as the input, do I then connect the TV with another S-video from the MONITOR output to the TV's "video 1" input?

Thanks again.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Coax or optical is not an easily answered question. Both can do the job. With optical you have less interference because it is a light signal, yet are somewhat limited in the length of cable. It is hard to find anything over 6' if I can remember correctly. With coax make sure you get a good shielded cable to keep out interference and you should be fine. If possible see if you can get both try them out and keep the one you prefer. I would bet you would not hear any difference.

The s-video can go directly from the dvd to the tv or through the receiver. I would suggest if you have only the one s-video component then go directly to the tv. The benefit of hooking it up through the receiver is so if you have more than one component with s-video you can switch the audio and video at the same time. Some people will also argue that running the video signal through the receiver will degrade it because of the extra connection,signal path, etc. I would suggest going straight from the dvd to the tv.

If you had your heart set on going through the receiver though, I would double check the manual but what you described above and what I can see from the picture sound correct.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
With a top level S-video cable you will come very/very close to the component cables performance. If possible go direct to the TV to further maximize the capability of S-video.
If you can afford it Nordost is probably the best. Wireworld is another brand worth considering as it has been compared favorably with the Nordost. Otherwise Bettercables, AR, Monster etc..

IMO a decent digital coax cable is better. Even If you dont agree they sound better you will at least get a more durable cable with greater variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks