Need help connecting a pioneer DV-563A to a Yamaha Rx-V1400

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Richard Mass, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

Should I use the digital coaxial output, the digital optical output or the multichannel analog outputs when connecting the Pioneer DV-563 to the Yamaha Rx-V1400?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You should do both a digital and the MC analog connection.

The digital will allow your Yammy to handle DD and DTS DVD's. There really is no audible difference between optical or coax (in spite of the baloney you may read). Just use what is most convenient.

The MC analog is essential to play back hi-rez DVD-A and SACD. If you do not connect the MC analogs, you will not get the MC hi-rez tracks.

You should not need to also connect the 2 CH analog, as it will be redundant to the L/R pair of the MC analog connections.

BGL

3. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

So when I am playing a SACD, I will need to switch to the MultiChannel Input? But when playing a DD or DTS or THX DVD I will leave it on the DVD input?

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

5. Richard Mass

Richard Mass Agent

OK, thanks for your help. Do you have an opinion as to the required quality of the analog cables? I was planning to go with the digital coax by acoustic research as I think Monster's are overpriced. Do you agree?

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Yeah, I am not a "cables matter" kind of guy. I think AR are reasonably priced with good build quality, as are Dayton (from Parts Express).

Most of my rig is wired with Phoenix Gold low end stuff.

I do think Monster is ridiculously overpriced, but amazingly, they are not so bad compared to some other stuff, which is completely obscene.

Someone had mentioned Bluejeans cables as being very high quality and reasonably priced. While I do not own any, I have to say that there web site was refreshingly free of the normal BS you sometimes read WRT cables.

I was looking at a component video set, and they were on par, price wise, with Radio Shack gold. I may try them out the next time I need a moderately long set of video cables.

BGL

7. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    If you're using a 5.1 (rather than 7.1) speaker setup, then you can get away with using only the analog MC outputs. This is true because the 563A is capable of decoding DD and DTS tracks (with bass management) and sending the results out the 5.1 MC outputs.

But it's possible that the RX-V1400 might do a better job of DD/DTS decoding, in which case you'd want to use the digital output. No way to know for certain without trying it...

8. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

I do believe that cables tend to make a difference, especially over time. I happen to use Monster for a lot of my connections, and AR's Master's series for others. I don't find the cables to be THAT ridiculously overpriced... especially Monster's THX 'Standard' line. that line is only marginally more than AR's base product, and I can see the difference in video, not necessarily in audio. The only place that I have heard an audible difference in audio is between very low and very high end optical cables. The low end tend to give a 'jittery' sound that the high end dont (I believe it has to do with how well the strands of glass are polished to get rid of any 'smudges' that mess with the light going through)
    I say you should spend whatever you are comfortable spending on cables... you've made a fairly big investment in your equipment, and the cables ARE what gets the signal from point A to point B.