What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Need help Confused!!!! (1 Viewer)

jorge386

Auditioning
Real Name
wagner8
I just bought my first house. I would love to really like to go crazy and wire all the rooms and yard but on a tight budget. I figured I would start with the living room I included a drawing of my setup. Which is the best way to go in adding a home theather to this room. I have a xbox already and use fios. I would like a 7.1 surround sound system. Should I use in wall speakers, floor standing, cube speakers. Also curious about hoooking up a home theather pc or will the xbox do fine. Can I use both and run a external blu ray drive to closet from pc if needed. I would like to leave cable box and other components in the closet. Please help want to run wires and hook ups before I move in and fix up. Thank You!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Should I use in wall speakers, floor standing, cube speakers.
Speakers are a personal thing. What sounds good to me might sound terrible to you. Audition as many as possible before choosing. On the other hand, you also have to factor in your budget and size constraints.

Also curious about hoooking up a home theather pc or will the xbox do fine.
What are your goals for these items? Think about how you will use them and future upgrades. Will the Xbox do everything you need now?

Can I use both and run a external blu ray drive to closet from pc if needed.
Yes. You can use whatever you want as long as your receiver has enough and the correct inputs. If you run out of inputs, there are external switches that will add additional inputs. But remember the more stuff you add the more complex your system becomes and the higher your budget will go.

I would like to leave cable box and other components in the closet. Please help want to run wires and hook ups before I move in and fix up. Thank You!
Have you thought about how you will control this equipment? IR remote extender? IR to RF to IR? RF to IR? Do you know the wall construction and how to run wires in-wall?

jorge386

Auditioning
Real Name
wagner8
Thank you for your response!

For the xbox and PC- I use netflix and use zune. I downlod movies from zune. I know a pc and xbox both have media center, zune and netflix. Im also a big game player. My goal is to be able to have all my moives in one area so I can watch them from my living room and bedroom.

I would like to run the wires ass simple as possible. having my closet is my main hub for all the components is my goal. Run my ethernet and hdmi from closet to tv

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So you only want to use HDMI between the closet and TV, then you need a receiver that will upconvert all sources to HDMI. You will also need speaker wires run to the appropriate locations in the room. Make sure all cables are in-wall rated.

Is the closet close to the TV? Will you have to run wires into the attic or basement?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is above or below the room? Since your TV is between two windows, running the wire horizontally will be almost impossible. You will have to go up the closet wall to an attic or through the floor into the basement or crawl space.

jorge386

Auditioning
Real Name
wagner8
Above the room is another room. I guess that will be my best bet throufh the basment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chantalc
Recent bookmarks