Need help classifying my DVDs by genre.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick.J.A, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Patrick.J.A

Patrick.J.A Stunt Coordinator

My list is here. The genres I currently have listed are
    Action
    Adventure
    Animated
    Anime
    Box Sets
    Comedy
    Drama
    Dramedy
    Gang/Mob
    Horror-ish
    Kids'
    Kung Fu
    Musical
    Romantic Comedy
    Sci-Fi
    Suspense
    Teen
    Television
    War
    At this point I have 8 titles that I couldn't classify. Any suggestions on those 8 or others you think I have misplaced, or genres I should add or get rid of would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a massiv collection right now, but plan on increasing steadily over the next few months, and I figure it would be easier to do this now, rather than later. FWIW, ATM, I had television have the greatest preference followed by boxsets.

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Err, I'll give it a shot:

Almost Famous - Dramady
    Armageddon - Looking over your classifications, I would say this is best under Sci-Fi
    Center Stage - Teen
    Coyote Ugly - Comedy I suppose (you have Kinght's Tale in there, after all)
    Driven - War [​IMG] Really, I would put this under Action
    Endless Summer - You need a Documentary category. If not, I would suggest Drama
    Hackers - Sci-Fi
    Swing Kids - Dramady

3. Patrick.J.A

Alex, thanks for the response, didn't really expect anyone to bother. (= I did as you suggested. One question: you said looking over my classifications for Armageddon, is there another one you'd add? I added the documentary category which is good for my Walt: The Man Behind The Myth DVD on order. As for a Knight's Tale, where would you put it? I thought it was a comedy first even with the minute amount of drama, it is one of my faves and makes me laugh very often. (=

4. Patrick.J.A

Another qestion: should box set be a category, or should i try to classify them by the content of a movie?

5. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

6. Patrick.J.A

7. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

Action isn't really a genre in itself. I mean, you can have a science fiction movie with action in it ( The Matrix for example )or a spy movie with action ( any of the Bond movies ) but there's no such thing as a movie that's simply 'action'. Maybe it'd make it easier to classify your collection by removing this as a genre?

8. Jun-Dai Bates

Jun-Dai Bates Stunt Coordinator

Action is as much a genre as any of these other classifications. Very few films fit neatly into a single category. You could say the same thing about comedy as you just did about action films, as an example (what do you do with spaceballs?). Some films would fit more neatly into the action genre than any other in that list, such as The Thomas Crown Affair, or the Rock. Personally, I think adventure is a trickier genre to work with. I also think that for every two relatively major genres (such as the ones above), there is a film that fits about equally into both.

With the process of classifying films, it is important to come up with categories that are relevant to the collection. Film genres that you have a lot of might need subdivision (such as action/thriller->heist film, or horror->science fiction horror vs. supernatural horror), and ones that you don't have much of might benefit from consolidation (such as action, thriller, and adventure, in the case of my dvd collection).

In any case, there is one thing you might keep in mind in classifying your collection: if you have a genre/category that only contains one film, you might consider pulling films from other categories that could also fit there, or you might consider consolidating that category with something else. An exception to this would be if you plan to acquire more films of that genre, or if you are trying to make a point about how much this film stands out from the rest of your collection.

Take for example your adventure category: it only contains The Lord of the Rings (which I would consider a fantasy film first and foremost. Adventure, on the other hand, conjures up images of Indiana Jones. Usually Action & Adventure are combined as one genre--look at Netflix and Amazon.com as examples). Unless you're going to get more fantasy films, I'd recommend putting it with Science Fiction, and call the section Science Fiction/Fantasy (a common consolidation). This is good, because Star Wars is as much Science Fiction as it is Fantasy.

Similarly, unless you're planning on getting more anime (can I recommend Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Mononoke, and the upcoming Miyazaki releases?), I would suggest getting rid of the category and putting cowboy bebop in "Animation" or "Television".

I've never heard of a "gang" genre. It would be better suited as "Crime", and then you could throw in the Godfather Trilogy (I, for one, am not a fan of "box sets" as a category), Boondock Saints, Reservoir Dogs (definitely not an "action" film--it is too dialogue-oriented; most of the action takes place off screen), Seven, and the Usual Suspects.

"American Beauty" is at least as much comedy as it is Drama. Is that what the "Dramedy" category is? Swing Kids, on the other hand, is much more of a drama than anything else.

Chasing Amy is romantic comedy. Men in Black is Science Fiction (also comedy).

Of course, to each his/her own.