need help chosing

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Oct 31, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

Okay, I am venturing back into gaming, i have an old sega genesis console (haven't played it in years) but now i am moving up to a new console. My choice is between the xbox and playstation 2. I am leaning towards the Xbox, however, I have a 4 year old son and when he sees this gaming stuff he is definitely going to want to get in on the action. i'm not sure if any of the xbox games out their are geared for the younger people. I don't want a gamecube, i want to stick with the above two. i don't need a lot of kiddie games but a few would be nice. Anybody out there have an xbox with some games geared towards yuonger childred. i am thinking that most of the games out there are to violent for children except for the sports games, racing games. thanks

2. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

You can really go either way on this one.

Here's the way I see it when looking at both of those consoles when kids are involved.

Both platforms will see essentially most of the same titles. (Most titles seem to stretch across multiple platforms, as of late)

The PS2 is just over 2 years old, so you will see more titles on that platform just due to the fact that it's been out longer.

I really don't think you'll go wrong with either one. Due to simple numbers, friends are more likely to have PS2's than Xboxes just because of the fact that so many more PS2's have been sold.

I don't know if I've helped at all, but that's what I think.

Glen

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

When I was is your situation I chose XBox. As far as kids games there aren't a ton, but there are a few. Crash Bandicoot comes to mind, but I don't know how well a 4 year old could play it. My nephew is 1-1/2 and he likes it (just likes the animation and pushing buttons) but doean't really "play" it of course. They are both good systems and now I'm trying to decide between PS2 and GC, leaning toward GC. I don't think you can really go wrong either way unless one of them has an upcoming exclusive that you must have and you'd regret not being ale to play.

4. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

I would go with PS2. There are a ton more games. Should be much easier finding games he will like. I own both, but if I could only keep one, it would be the PS2.

5. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I know you dont want a gamecube (which has alot of kiddie games)I am very excited that Madcatz released a MINI gamecube controller perfect for my 3 and 4 year olds hands XBOX controllers are just way to big! (for a little man)

6. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

Go PS2. While I love the XBOX for what it is capable of, there just aren't enough games yet to make it worth choosing over the PS2 for NOW. However, in a year it will have more "greatest hits" games and the like and will surely have more games oriented towards kids, and will likely be lower in price.
    I have all three systems. I love the XBOX and have played some great games on it, but there are SOOO many more on the PS2 at this point. The PS2 also has all the Greatest Hits titles and the long list of PS1 games for kids. I personally started weaning my son on Spyro the Dragon when he was 2 1/2 years old. He's now 6...sniffle...I'm so proud of my boy. [​IMG]
    There is a really good point I should make here. You don't need to spend $50 on a game to make your son happy. With the PS2, you have a great, long list of sub-$20 games that you can choose from that he will have a blast with. And if you can snatch the controller away from his fingers, there are many you yourself will have a blast with.
    Enjoy.
    Ian

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I got the Xbox last out of all three. However, I seem to be most addicted to it. The DD is incredible! I'm not so sure that my attitude will change once I finish Halo. That bundle with the Sega GT and JSF is a great deal. However, you can't beat the number of game the PS2 has and the quality of title SMS for the GCN. Tough desicion...

8. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Buy all of em, that is the only way to truly be happy! [​IMG]
    Honestly, look at what games are out now that you or your children must play, but also look at what is coming down the road for the system. What is on the system now may be great, but down the line it might not.
    I am a sick person and need all consoles, because I know each one will have games that the others wont. Games that I cant live without.
    And as far as Gamecube....METROID IS COMING! ZELDA IS COMING! RESIDENT EVIL 0 is COMING! MARIO KART IS COMING!(we think)