Need help chosing a plasma EDTV... take a look

Discussion in 'Displays' started by mark_czek, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mark_czek

mark_czek Auditioning

hello, im gonna bite the bullit and go ahead and order a plasma... i've found a bunch of EDTV and 1 HDTV all around the same price that i am concidering.... here is what they are. please help me out and let me know if anyone knows anything about any of them. i've tried to research all of them and only found info on the panny. I'm leaning towards the sony because its 50". thanks in advance!

all are commercial models w/o tuners and limited inputs. and the prices are INSANE, right around $1000 give or take $50 for each of them.

sony fwd-50px1 50" HDTV
    panny th-42pwd7uy 42" EDTV
    LG mu-42pm12x 42" EDTV

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

But the Panny is still top notch and the best of the three listed.

Doesn't really matter that the Panny has been replaced since you can't get the new one at this price point.

Regards

4. mark_czek

mark_czek Auditioning

so go for the panny even thought the sony is 50" and HDTV?? thanks, more opinions are welcomed

5. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If size is more important to you than good blacks ... get the Sony.

The HD aspect is more worthwhile only if you plan to sit fairly close to the TV.

A 42 HD plasma versus the ED version at 8 feet has no resolution advantage to the ED since you can't see the extra pixels anymore. The Contrast ratio on the ED set would then be more advantageous since the ED set usually has better CR than the HD set.

There is more to a good image than just resolution aka pixel counts.

Regards

6. mark_czek

mark_czek Auditioning

Michael, i see your posts and really respect your opinions.... so let me ask you this.. if you were to get one of the ones that i have listed, which would it be? do the blacks of the panny outweigh the extra 8" of the sony? that is basically what my decision is going to come down to. ive heard great things about both the panny and the LG but not much on the sony. the tv will be used in a bedroom for now, but when i move out will probably become my main TV. thanks

7. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

mark_czek said:

I don't mean to be rude and I rarely give advice, but I think that's something you'll have to answer for yourself. It's your call regarding the weight of resolution vs. contrast. I'd recommend taking a look at an HD and ED set in a retail store. Try to stand at your regular sitting distance and see how much impact the HD picture has. Consider that you won't get a good look at contrast under bright lights and the fact that the screens might not be calibrated correctly.

I'm waiting until this spring/summer to get a set but if I were to purchase a set right now it'd likely be an ED set due to a price:performance ratio. The set would be dedicated 100% to movies and games (no satellite or cable). Though Panasonic's 37"/42" commercial HD sets look awful good 'for the price,' but not quite as good as the ED sets.

I guess if I were to purchase a commercial model I would have to consider the cost of any extra cards/inputs. I do like the idea of a screen with no speakers. Something about the black bezel with no protrusions gets me going.

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Okay ... the 50" Sony has a resolution of 1024x768 ... low for a 50" size when the others all have at least 1366x768. CR is 3000:1 ... (what ever that is worth)

$4000 set for $1000 ... fall off the back of a truck?

The pixels are bigger on this one compared to the other 50" units ...

I'd get the Sony then ... for the size and the extra pixels. Traditionally, the Sony is slightly behind the Panasonic on blacks but not that far behind.

Get the Sony ... biggest bang for the buck here.

The Panny would only save you $500 over normal street price.

Regards

9. mark_czek

mark_czek Auditioning

thanks to both of you for the advice... might pull the trigger on the sony soon. i dont know if posting websites on these forums is against the rules or not.... if not let me know and i will post where these prices are from. crazy deals there all w/manufactures warrenty. thanks again!