What's new

Need help choosing... (1 Viewer)

AzzyR

Auditioning
Real Name
Aaron
Want to buy new speakers but on a budget (student problems). I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to audio systems, can wire car audio and that's about it!

Got a budget of around £150, maybe £200.

Been looking at Hi-Fi systems such as:
Sony MHC-ECL77BT 470W &
Panasonic SC-AKX400EBK 600W Speaker System

But also found 'monitor speakers' for DJ mixing etc.. e.g..

M-Audio BX5 D2 Compact 2 Way Active Studio Monitor Speakers
Numark N-Wave 580L Powered Desktop DJ Monitor Speakers
Mackie CR5T Monitor Speakers

The reviews seem to be really good for the monitor speakers but after digging a little deeper, I've read that they produce a 'flat response', not too sure what this actually means... and everyone I've spoken to says to buy an equaliser to go with them and they'll be amazing.. but obviously im too poor for that, they all seem to cost £150 + alone...

Anyone able to recommend a suitable system/set up for me? I listen to a lot of bass heavy music (edm, trap, house etc. etc.) and love it when you can feel the low frequency tones and kicks. In need of a little knowledgeable advice :)

Thanks in advance!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
One thing’s for sure, you can forget about heavy bass that you can feel on your budget. That requires a separate subwoofer. It ain’t happening with speakers with tiny 5” woofers.

I’d say that any of the active monitors will sound better than the Sony or Panasonic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I agree with Wayne you're not going to get what you're looking for with the budget you have going with separates or powered monitors. You're best bet is to go with a 2.1 computer speakers set like the Logitech Z623 for £140.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks