Need Help Choosing Widescreen HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Lovely, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Jason Lovely

Jason Lovely Stunt Coordinator

I live in an apartment, and I currently own a 32" Toshiba television (non-HDTV). Eventually, I'd like to purchase a high-end HDTV, such as a Pioneer Elite Pro 720HD, but for now I want one to accommodate my current situation. I sit about five feet away from the TV, so what do you think would be my best option? Would it be best to simply get a 32" widescreen direct-view HDTV? I've thought about this because of the fact that I play a lot of XBOX games. Basically, since I know I will eventually get something bigger, I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I also want quality. Also, I need a set that would be able to support a center speaker on the top, because I have a surround system. I would really appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I think you're headed in the right direction, Jason. You're acknowledging reality. So, given your sitting distance from the display, a 32- or 34- or even 36-inch direct-view may work fine. As for native 16:9 screens, Philips offers such from 30-inches on up. Or you might consider Sony's very highly rated 34-inch widescreen direct-view.

Then you always have the option for native 4:3 screens with true 16:9 modes.

Good thinking, Jason.

3. Jason Lovely

Jack,

Thanks for the options. What Sony model in particular are you referring to?

4. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Jason,

Have you cosidered the sonykv40xbr700. It's the 40" tube 4x3 that will give you 38" 16x9. I have one and love it.

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Depending on your budget, I would say the XBR sony is probaby a bit high. Since you know you will getting something bigger (and more expensive) in the future, I reccomend heading to BJ's wholesale club and picking up the Samsung tsl3295hf 4:3 HDTV. They have it for $999 nd if you can live with a 4:3 direct view, you will be unable to come close to it for the $$$

6. Jason Lovely

I definitely want a widescreen TV, and after looking around, the direct-views are much more expensive than the projection TVs. It looks like my best options for under $2000 are the Panasonic PT-47WX49, or the Toshiba 42H81. Any thoughts on either of these TVs?
    PT-47WX49
    42H81

7. Justin Bowser

I have been real happy with the RCA 38310 that I picked up last fall. It was around $2K plus shipping but worked out cheaper than buying locally and paying tax.

Excellent picture, built in HDTV tuners and Sat rcvr but set is extremely heavy and quite deep, > 2ft. Am in process of building entertainment center section to fit it...

8. Jason Lovely

I'm not familiar with DIRECTV. Since you say it has a built in satellite receiver, what else would you have to do to receive HDTV programming? Also, the fact that the projection TVs come with stands is another reason they make more sense to me. If I get a direct-view TV, I'll have to buy a stand.

9. Chris_Freeman

Ive seen the Toshiba and it has an excellent picture. Ive seen them on sale in the $1500 price range.

10. Jason Lovely

As I've been thinking about what to buy, I've been reading about all the DVI/HDCP stuff. Maybe the right thing to do is to wait until summer/fall to buy one of the newer DVI/HDCP compatible sets.

11. Scott Garmon

Scott Garmon Auditioning

Jason: Based on what I've heard from several high-end dealers, I don't think you're going to find many, if any, DVI/HDCP compatible sets in the third or fourth quarter of this year. Mitsubishi, Toshiba, and Pioneer factory sales reps (the guys who sell to the dealers) are voicing skepticism as to whether the DVI/HDCP standard will be approved by the FCC and adopted by consumers. I too have read a lot of threads that strongly suggest this is a done deal, but the dealers and reps are saying they don't think it will happen, at least not any time soon. The reasons are obvious: Fear of consumer litigation, likelyhood of FCC intervention, lack of mainstream consumer acceptance which will result in a lack of retail industry support, continuous maturation and consumer adoption of the current DVD standards, and an obviously poor business model on the part of the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America). Believe me, when it's all said a done, revenues, not compliance with Hollywood's greed, will determine what manufacturers do and do not build. Afterall, they're all publicly owned companies!

You will find differing opinions on both sides of this issue. I think it's safe to say that any HDTV compatible set you buy today will offer a long term life span without the fear of near term obsolesence.

12. Jason Lovely

Well, I know there has been a Sony press release mentioned in the Sony XBR thread indicating Sony will release DVI/HDCP sets in the summer and fall. I also read a 15 page article in Widescreen Review last night about D-VHS, that pretty much answers all the questions that were brought up in the huge DVI thread. The editor of Widescreen Review believes these sets will appear this year, and JVC has already released these type of sets. Of course, it's still anyone's guess, but if you haven't read that article, it's a really good read. Either way, I won't be buying the TV for another 2 or 3 months anyway, so I can make my decision then.