Need Help choosing SVS sub for Marantz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ma, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I am preparing to order a SVS sub 25-31PCi or 20-39PCi and need a little advice.

My setup is as follows:

Marantz SR-19

Paradigm Monitor 7s,cc-350,ADP-170s,ps-1000

I do not have an external crossover and have read here that ALL Marantz receivers's crossover internally at 100hz. My SR-19 manual doesn't show this specification but it mentions that setting the speakers to SMALL routes bass lower than 80hz to the sub. This leads me to belive its set at 80hz but I don't know....

This is where I need to decide which size sub to get. I read that the 25-31 will sound better at above 80hz than the other. I know my ps-1000 even sounds really boomy at 100hz. So I'm leaning towards the 25-31PCi.

But, after hearing the phantom menance on some subs much better than mine, I want to go lower than 25hz. So, should I choose the 20-39?

Now, what about getting the 25-31 tuned to 22hz. How has this worked for some people?

2. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Robert,

I have/had a remarkably similar system to yours, and I think I can provide some insight. I started out with:

Marantz SR-7000

Paradigm Monitor 7v2

CC-350

Mini Monitor surrounds

PS-1000 sub

After winning the contest on this site, I got an SVS 16-46PC (with the new driver). That's the big one. I can tell you, unequivocally, that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to "boomy". The PS-1000 is a bandpass sub and is quite loud, but the boominess used to drive me crazy. I always regretted that purchas, but at the time, I bought them as a set and didn't know any better. The SVS is extremely tight and fast, even for music. For DD/DTS, you should have no worries if your cross-over is 100Hz (which my SR-7000 uses). I also do not notice any localization. You won't regret any of the subs in that line.

Chris

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks Chris,

So its not me with the PS-1000. You described my exact feeling with that piece.

I haven't placed my SVS order yet cauz of convincing the wife but it will be soon.

Bob

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Robert,

I'm powering a 20-39PC with an SR-8000 and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

5. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Bob,

With appologies to current owners of the PS-1000, I really grew to dislike that sub. A few years ago, I was not nearly as "informed" as I am today (thanks in large part to this forum and audioreview). I bought my Paradigms from the only local dealer at the time. I even told the sales guy, who actually did seem to be a step up from the typical hack, that I was looking for 75% music, 25% home theater. I grew to realize that the PS-1000 is just plain too slow and boomy for music. It is not bad for Home Theater, but the SVS is a lot tighter. Basically, a bandpass sub is designed to get the most impact from a smaller size. The downside is usally a lack of accuracy. I literally have been listening to my whole CD collection again.

For music, it's best to use the Marantz Source Direct mode which bypasses bass management. What I do is feed the SVS from the Left and Right pre-outs and set the cross-over at 50Hz which blends perfectly with the roll-off of the Monitor 7s. For DD/DTS movies, I just use an A/B switch to feed the sub from the sub pre-out (and disable the sub crossover). It's kind of a manual process, but I'm too picky about music reproduction to use too much receiver signal processing.

Chris

6. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I did it! I order a 25-31PCi. I can't wait to hear this baby.

Now to sell the PS-1000.....

Chris,

I agree with what you do with your crossover. I wish there was an easier way to manage that. I may spend the $250 for the Outlaw ICBM-1 crossover.

Bob