What's new

Need help choosing reputable online dealer (1 Viewer)

Allan P

Grip
Looking into finally pulling the trigger on a FP but am having trouble finding anyone in my area that doesnt want an arm and a leg for their FPs.
Im interested in the Panny 300, the Studio Experience 1HD/Sanyo Z1, possibly the Sanyo Z2, and the Sharp 200. Ive looked online and found a few good deals...however, I am terrified of buying on line and getting a lemon, or worse yet, suckered.
Can anyone recommend some good online dealers that are known for low prices on their products and great service.
Also, in this area no one seems to carry entry level FP...Ive seen the SE 1HD and the Sharp dt200. What do you all think about the Panny 300 and Sanyo Z2? I would be buying them sight unseen, which is kind of risky, so...do you also know of any online dealers that allow returns without huge restocking charges?
Thanks in advance...

JustinS

Agent
Allan. I've run into the same problems here in DC from the few phone calls I have made thus far. The two HT dealers I called both gave me the snob routine when I called and inquired about projectors that cost less than $5000.

"We carry Sharp and Runco and Sony when they release something worth selling."
"So do you carry the Sony HS20?"
"Oh God no!"

This is from the place I bought my Paradigms from a couple of years ago. :rolleyes

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
I bought my Panny 300 from Visual Apex and was very happy with their service. I believe they have a zero dead pixel policy, so you can get the projector replaced if you find any dead pixels. They were very prompt with shipping too. I ordered on a Friday and the projector showed up at my house on Tuesday. They currently have the 300 for $1499 (which is about $350 less than I paid for it back in May). I'm not sure about returns, or if they have a restocking fee. I bought my Panny without ever having seen it in action (except for screenshots online) and I am extremely happy with it.

Good luck!

MikeP

Allan P

Grip
Thanks for your input.

MikeP
Do you think that you would be able to post or PM some of your screen shots for me? I would be very interested in seeing them. Also, how are your black levels...especially like on SW, Matrix, LOTR, etc.

Also, what are the main differences between LCD and DLP? I am aware of how each technology works, however, I am not so sure of pros and cons to each. I know DLP has rainbows that some see...I have never been one of these. LCD is supposed to have SDE and decreased black levels. Any other pros cons to each?
Thanks in advance

Michael Pineo

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, I don't have a camera that I have been able to take any good screenshots with. Take a look over at the AVS forum for some screenshots. If you look in the Members Photo Gallery, there is a whole section of just screenshots. I know some people don't like it when we suggest people look at another forum, but I only mention this because they have a whole gallery of screenshots there and there isn't anything comparable here.

Black levels are good. Not as good as a CRT projector, but they are very good (a huge improvement over my first LCD projector). I am incredibly picky when it comes to picture quality, and I never find myself distracted or disappointed in the black level from this projector.

The almost total lack of screendoor on this projector is what I really find amazing. My previous projector (Sharp h37vua) was like literally watching a movie through s screendoor. It was terrible. I am sitting about 15 feet away from a screen that measures about 90" horizontally, and I almost never see screendoor. The only time I do see it is if I don't let the projector warm up before I watch, or sometimes if there is fast motion on a really bright background (this happens very rarely and only lasts for a split second and I really have to be looking for it).

You've pretty much summed up the pros and cons of LCD and DLP, as far as I know. I have never actually seen a DLP projector in action, so I can't really comment on that. I was actually going to get the Infocus X1 before I bought my panny. Since I was buying sight unseen, the threat of rainbows really made me nervous. I am really prone to eye strain (get really nasty headaches), so I didn't want to chance it. It's too bad there isn't an easier way to check out these projectors. It really makes buying one stressful when you can't even see it before you spend thousands of dollars.

Well, I hope that helps. I definitely understand what you are going through right now. I think it took me about 3 months of research and waffling back and forth until I finally made my decision. I guess there are worse problems to have :)

MikeP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks