What's new

Need Help Choosing Reciever (1 Viewer)

etm34

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Miller
I recently gave my parents my pioneer vsx 522k receiver and bought a HK avr 1700, but i am very skeptical about the HK after reading reviews. I want the best sound quality i can get for the price ($300-350). I dont care about features (basically i only want ipod compatibility), and i am just looking for 5.1. But like i said SQ is my biggest concern! The speakers i am using are klipsch kg.5 (front and rear), kv.2 (center), and swv 8in (will probably upgrade in near future). I will mostly only use the front two speakers, center, and sub due to space constraints. Any help with my options would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

Quick Look:

Question:
What receiver is best for my situation.

Constraints:
Best SQ
$300-350
Ipod compatible(mehhh)

Speakers:
Klipsh:
KG.5 (front and rear)
KV.2 (center)
SWV 8in (sub)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, your speakers don't need much power. HK, about the only thing going for them is "quality of their amp section".HK has been behind the 8-ball for years, but so has the entire consumer side of Harman(JBL, Infinity, Revel and some other stuff).I would not be surprised if Harman pulls a Kenwood and JVC(as in killing themselves in comsumer end and just leaving car/commercial/niche).

etm34

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Miller
but taking customer service out of the equation and such, would the hk be worth it? The marantz looks pretty nice, good specs.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
You said sound quality was your top criteria, which IMO automatically rules out HK. However, that's strictly subjective, some people really like how HK sounds.

In that price range I would really be looking at factory refurbished units, they are a much better value, IMO. Tops on my list would be the Marantz, followed by Yamaha, Pioneer and Denon. FTR, I've owned Marantz, Yamaha and Pioneer equipment. I've demoed, but never owned Denon or Onkyo.

FWIW, Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, but I did some listening not long ago and there is a very noticble difference in their sound, IMO. There's been a saying for quite a while that I agree with: "Buy Denon for features, Marantz for sound" and I agree with that assessment.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sound quality rules out HK?Since when? Sound quality is their one and only mantle.Denon and Marantz have used the exact same internals for 3 model years now.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Ive had personal experience with onkyo, emotiva, hk, marantz, sherwood newcastle and yamaha. Emotiva was the best sq with marantz a close second. Onkyo was the worst followed by hk.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I should also mention that I haven't played with a HK since they jumped off the "all channels driven" spec and joined the "we'll fib like everyone else now".

The last one I installed was the 3660(I think, 3650???) and that thing was/is a beast. Outside the sumo-class($2000+) AVR...it has the best amp section, period.

This customer only used it as power as he had a DVDO that processed all video, passed into the 3660(???), then onto the projector. His speakers were all Mirage towers(hardly the epitome of efficiency) and the output was insane...to say the least.

Whether the latest HK live up to what their predecessors had is beyond me. I just know the new ones have been getting lousy user reviews(none of the reviews mention sound. They all mention lousy interfaces/controls...which gee...you did buy a HK).

etm34

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Miller
Yeah i was looking at the manual and the interface looks really bad compared to my pioneer and you have to use the autoeq on it. The reviews i have read on the hk say that they dont sound as good as the older models, but still sound pretty amazing, but i mean i have no clue if these people on amazon and bestbuy and etc are audiophiles or just people who have upgraded from their amazing sony receivers.

etm34

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Miller
Might just buy a marantz on ebay if i can win it and test the marantz and the hk and see which i like better, easiest way to solve the problem i guess haha.

etm34

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Miller
So I hooked up the hk and within 2 hours of using it is already bad. Lots of static sound coming from the speakers now and can't get it to stop. All sources are doing it and have turned off sub and unplugged everything around it. Looks like their quality control and reliability is good......

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Sorry to hear that. Annoying it didnt last long enough for you to do some comparing but sadly you can have issues with any manufacture these days. Consider it just another example of how it pays to make sure you always have some kind of warranty and good return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks