What's new

Need help choosing pair of speakers for old receiver (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Someone at work was getting rid of an old (mid-to-late 90's model) Marantz receiver. I grabbed it but I haven't been in the home-theater game in a while and have no idea what kind of speakers I need for this. I'm not looking for something expensive, just a decent pair of front units to tide me over until I can buy something better later. Can anyone offer advice?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'll get back to you guys regarding the model number. I'm willing to spend up to $150 for a PAIR of front speakers (I'm not interested in a multi-speaker package yet, not with this receiver). Also, I'm suddenly feeling stupid - the black and red speaker terminals on the rear of the unit - how do I install the speaker wire? (some wires come in "pin" versions that just plug into the terminal). Yeah, its been that long since I've been out of the home theater game.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You are not going to get much for $150 (even $150 a piece is kinda low). I'll toss out my favorite "low budget" brand - Fluance. http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html

I haven't heard the ones I linked to but I did own the 5.0 SXHTB package and the mains were decent.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by David Willow

You are not going to get much for $150 (even $150 a piece is kinda low). I'll toss out my favorite "low budget" brand - Fluance. http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html

I haven't heard the ones I linked to but I did own the 5.0 SXHTB package and the mains were decent.
Retailers are selling entire home-theater-in-a-box packages, including DVD players for less than $100. All I need is a temporary pair of front bookshelf speakers for an old receiver than I'm not even sure will work.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Since you are on a $150 budget for a temporary system perhaps you may want to look for some used stereo speakers to tide you over. An old set of towers or large bookshelves from a major producer will out perform anything you are going to find new for $150.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Alright, I'll throw these out there as well. - http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-sbs01.cfm

These are closer to $200, but they can be the basis of a very good setup if you decide to expand the package.

I understand you can buy entire setups (HTiB) for $100. There are many compromises with setups like these. Sure they produce sound, but the question is can you stand to listen to it for more than a few minutes?????

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Here's some others to consider. Boston-Aucoustics-C26, TheSpeakerCompany.com Energy-C-200 and Energy-C-100, These Yamaha-NS-6490's sound surprisingly good for what they are. If you just wanted to go to the store and get something then these Insignia's always seem to get good reviews.

I like to use PriceGrabber.com to see what's available. You can't get great sound for $150 a pair but it can still be enjoyable.

And as was mentioned earlier, don't dismiss used speakers. I recently bought a nice pair of Infinity Kappa 5.1's (the model number, not the number of speakers) off Craigslist for $75.

What's the model number?

Why in the world did I ask for that ??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks