What's new

Need help choosing ota stb - LG4200, Samsung T451 or Motorola 101 (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Any advantage or disadvantage to any of these units? Looking for the most user friendly unit? Do any of them allow change of format from the remote? Best tuner? Analog & digital reception? Possible Xmas gift, so I need to make an informed decision.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Brad,

Of the models you listed, only the LG will receive both ATSC and NTSC signals. LG boxes are usually regarded as the best for weak signals and also are the best at rejecting multipath signals.

My Sony HD-200 is built by LG, is a couple of model years old, and is also DirecTV capable. It's ota performance is excellent for both digital and analog signals and it's upconversion of SD and it's aspect ratio controls are very good. The 4200 should be even better. I don't know if the 4200 will allow scanrate changes via remote, my Sony will but I just leave it on 1080i for everything and the results are quite good. The 4200 will also output 480i via S-video or composite simultaneously with an HD scanrate over component or DVI, allows you to record on a standard vcr while you watch in HD.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Brad,

If size or space is an issue for you, the Moto 101 is about the size of a wireless router. It is tiny. I had the Moto 100 for a week and was impressed with the picture, but it died on me so I took it back.

As Steve mentioned, if both ATSC and NTSC tuners are necessary then you could also consider the Samsung 165 (been around a long time) or the RCA ATSC21.

Peace,

DM

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I have recently read a few post regarding the fan noise of the Motorola 101. Anyone experienced that problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks