Need Help Choosing New TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric.Simon, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Eric.Simon

Eric.Simon Auditioning

Hi,

My trusty old Panasonic 25" from 1985 has decided to stop working on me, so it's time to get a new TV. However, I am clueless on alot of the new TV stuff, and was hoping someone could help me out.

What I'm looking for is a 27-32" Flat CRT set with component input. That's really about it, everything else to me is extra.
    I'm hoping to spend somewhere around $500 or so.

Also, how will this purchase be affected by the requirement for hdtv in 2007? Obviously, the salespeople at CC and BB are pushing the HDTV sets, but they are just too far out of my budget. What can I get now that will accept the new standards without much hassle? I have no problem getting a tuner box, or something like that when the time comes, I just don't want to have to purchase a new TV.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Eric,
    You could get a nice JVC or Toshiba 32" set for 499, with component input but not flat screen. There are also a few 27" models with flat screens for $500.
    I'd rather have the bigger screen.

By the time you need it, a tuner box capable of tuning digital broadcast and outputting a signal usable by an analog tv will be available for $150 or less. This won't be needed any sooner than 2007.

3. Chris AD

Chris AD Auditioning

I'd take a close look at the 32" analog screens before buying. I bought a 32" analog and was so distracted by the visible scan lines I sent it back.