What's new

Need help choosing new replacement projector with 92 inch screen and projector mount 11 feet from screen (1 Viewer)

GWTWTOO

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I really need help. Twelve years ago I set up my living room with a 92 inch (diagonal) Stewart motorized drop down screen and a Sony VPL AW 10 projector. The projector and screen were professionally installed and the projector was ceiling mounted about 11 feet from the screen.

Today, i bought an Epson Pro EX 9220 projector thinking it would work. When i mounted it, however, the image was too large for the screen even after adjustment using the Zoom ring. I'm assuming there's nothing more that can be done with this particular projector, short of moving the ceiling mount or the screen. Is there another projector, preferably Epson, that will do the job? Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks so much!

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Its an older office projector with a small throw ratio, so yeah its going to be pretty limited.

Heres a link from Epson with a throw calculator at the bottom, plug in your numbers to figure what ratio you need.

Once youve narrowed down what will work within your budget and measurements maybe post your choices here for what specific model would be best for you (your room, projector use ect)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
5040/6040 refurbs are available and 5050/6050's up for sale. Also, time to get a bigger screen...bigger is always better! Update your AVR (Denons have great deals) and get a 420/820 BD player for your UHD discs (for tone mapping).

I don't have streaming devices in my HT, only what is offered on my two BD players.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Mark.

What's your budget and general criteria for this PJ?

Judging by the Epson PJ you just tried, if you need something close to that price point, you might check out the Epson HC 2150 -- it's only 1080p though. That should have the throw distance range you need -- at 11ft, its 1.6x zoom lens can do anywhere from 70-114" diagonal for 16x9 w/ plenty of lumens to spare. I actually ordered one on sale from B&H a year ago for a friend (to save him cost of sales tax via my Payboo CC), and he seems quite happy w/ it.

You might also consider the nearly identical sibling HC 2100 instead if prices differ all that much.

Others you might consider (though looks like most of the rest fall at least slightly outside your ideal throw/screen-size criteria... some seemingly only a couple inches or so off)...

Just make sure to check that site's projector calculator to ensure throw distance (and also any possibly needed lens shift... and maybe brightness, if you sometimes have significant ambient lighting on) meets your needs before buying...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks