What's new

Need help choosing Laserdisc player (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the market for a used low priced ($200 price range) Laserdisc player and I need some advise. I'm only going to be using it for Star wars/indy trilogies and mostly pre-1970 films not on DVD.
I've searched other threads for some info and here is what I'm looking for.
Pioneer brand - play both sides - good picture quality for a reasonable price.
BTW DTS and AC-3 are a non-issue as I'll be satisfied using the PCM tracks.
What model numbers should I look for and which should I avoid?
thanks,
Jim

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
confused.gif

no recommendations????

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jim,
Lucky for you, laser disc prices are basically in the crapper. I sold a nice like-new Pioneer CLD-D503 a couple of year ago with exactly the features you described, and even though I paid $400 used, I was only able to get $125 for it. I researched e-bay before I sold it, and that was bout what they were selling for. I found that AC-3 models could usually get about $100 more.
Having said that, Jim, get on over to e-bay. I’m sure you’ll have no trouble finding a nice player under $200.
You don’t want anything but a Pioneer player. They were always the most serious player in the Laser disc market (no pun intended), and many other manufacturers merely sold re-badged Pioneers. I briefly had a Mits player before the Pioneer, and it wasn’t nearly as good —very grainy picture.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wayne,
How do the CLD-D406 & CLD-D504 stack up against your old CLD-D503?
These are the 3 models I'm currently looking at now.
Are they all a safe bet?
Any other opinions?
thanks,
Jim

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim, I have the CLD-D406 and am very happy with it. It was Pioneer's last LD/CD player, as they only now offer the DVL-919 DVD/LD player. The laserdiscphiles say that the 'D406 isn't as good as Pioneer's best LD players such as the Elite CLD-97 and CLD-99 and the non-Elite CLD-704, but for the $425 I paid for the 'D406 as a brand new unit last year, I am very pleased with the performance. If you can get a good deal on a 'D406 in good condition, I'd say go for it.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jim,
If I remember, the 504 is essentially the same as the 503, except it is one model year newer and should have AC-3. If it does have an AC-3 output, expect to pay more.
The 406 is a model newer than the 504, but I think it is a lower-line product than the 500 series. However, that probably only means a few less features than the 500 models.
Really, the only players I would avoid are the bottom-of-the-line 100 and 200 series, which are really stripped-down models that don’t even have auto reverse.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Remember that the 504 has no PCM/DTS optical or coaxial output. It has an AC-3 output instead. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...in a democracy it don't matter how stupid you are you stille get an equal share..."
I survived the AFI top 100 Film Challenge! I've seen them all.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the save Rachael. I guess I was mistakenly under the impression that all LD players had PCM outputs.
Jim

Bob Segno

Agent
Jim, I have had the 406 for about 5 or 6 years now, and it has always worked great. The picture is almost as good as DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks