Need help choosing first Home Theater system

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RyanU, Nov 16, 2003.

1. RyanU

RyanU Auditioning

Hi all. I've been lingering around these forums reading for a while and I now have enough money to buy a system, but I need your help. When I went to A&B Sound, the guy there suggested the Energy Take 5.2's for $848(canadian) and for a receiver a Yamaha RXV-540 for $504....all together with tax it's 1474 or so.

SO I'm wondering if I could beat this for price and all. Ive heard some people saying Yamaha's aren't that great, and when I demo'ed the speakers, they were playing through a Marantz receiver, so I havent actually heard the exact combo.

The main use of these speakers will be action movies and games, and perhaps the occasional music. With budget at $1500 Canadian, I believe I could get a fairly decent setup. I'm 16, and at $8/hour, it's quite an investment for me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....thx all in advance.

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

The speakers would be a good start though you may want to look at Paradigm also. As for a receiver, Yamaha tends to be on the bright side with some speakers. You may want to look at this deal at Ecost.com. Kenwood VR616 receiver for $89US. You can do a dumby order and get the final cost. Probably under $175CDN shipped to the door(tx/duty incl)

Kenwood Receiver for $89US

Kevin

3. RyanU

RyanU Auditioning

the only problem is that I'm 16, so I can't order online as I have no credit card and my parents don't trust the internet.(yet they do their banking online lol)

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Show your parents the deal if it interest you and have them call the 1-800 number to order it.

Kevin