Need help choosing first DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Will, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Dave Will

Dave Will Auditioning

I hope this isn't too simplistic for this sophisticated group, but I do need help on choosing a DVD recorder. Here are my requirements:

1. Less that $300 street price.
    2. Must have time slip function - leaves out HD recorders because of price.
    3. Must have progressive scan.
    4. 2 will require recording on DVD-RAM, but would like a recorder that can also record on media that can play on any stand-alone player.

I have narrowed my search down to 2 recorders: The Panasonic DMR-E55 and the Toshiba R-2. The Panasonic is a very popular unit, sells for $225 at Circuit City, but can only record on DVD-RAM and DVD-R. I would like to be able to record on RW disks that can played on most players. With my old VCR, I frequently recorded an interesting program for friends. They returned the tape for me to reuse. I want to do that with my new DVD recorder. DVD-Rs are still around $1 each which is too much for me to treat as a throw-away disk.

The Toshiba R-2 sells for about $270 at Crutchfield and will record on DVD-RW disks. So I think that it meets my requirements. My questions for this forum are: Is the Toshiba a good choice? Are there any professional reviews on the WEB comparing the 2 recorders? Are there other recorders meeting my requirements which I should consider?

Thanks,

Dewdrop

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you are paying $1 per blank disc for DVD-R's, you are paying way too much. The last batch I bought online was less than $.30 per disc for 8x DVD-R's.

3. Dave Will

Dave Will Auditioning

Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply. I haven't bought DVD media in a while, but I just checked CompUSA. TDK and Memorex are still 80 cents a disk in 50 or lower quantities. Memorex has a special on their 25 pack which comes in around 36 cents. Go figure. However, I currently have two 25 packs of Memorex DVD-R disks and they turn into coasters in my Sony recorder on my PC if I fill them more that half full I wrote Memorex and they sent me the second pack of the two I own, but the replacements are no better than the originals. Also, I attend computer shows in my area and have bought DVD media from a bulk reseller and they didn't work in my Sony recorder. Fortunately, the dealer took them back at the next show. All this makes me very leery of buying any non-name brand media over the web or otherwise. So, unless I find them on sale and they aren't Memorex, I'm still stuck at 80 cents each which is better than I thought.

Any advice on my choice of DVD recorders?

Dewdrop

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am really happy with my Panasonic E80 recorder, but Panasonic only supports DVD-RAM for re-writable media, which you indicated you really did not want. I do not know much about the Toshiba recorders (although I have been very happy with the two Toshiba DVD players I've owned).

For better blank DVD media prices, though, you may want to check out www.meritline.com . They have much better prices than CompUSA.

5. steve_wener

steve_wener Auditioning

Samsung R-100, I have two. Recording a S-Video signal, the picture quality is phenomenal. Records DVD-R , DVD-Ram , DVD-RW and has time slip but no HD. Very cheap too.

6. Dave Will

Dave Will Auditioning

Thanks. That sounds like a good one. Does it meet the less than $300 (US$) price limit? I did a search on the Samsung site for both local retailers and on-line retailers. None are listed. Where did you buy yours? I suspect that Samsung just doesn't have their site up to date. I know that I can buy their TVs in my area. Why not the DVD recorders?

Dave

7. steve_wener

steve_wener Auditioning

I bought mine in Canada for $329 CAD. Very cheap considering all that it has.