What's new

Need help choosing DVD player for Sony HS-10 (1 Viewer)

Steven_ R

Agent
I have a 2 year old Sony HD ready 61HS10 and have been using a non-progressive scan DVD player. I have been very satisfied with the picture quality. Yet, given the huge drop in prices for progressive scan DVD players, I'm thinking about upgrading. Two questions, one - will I notice much of a difference given that the Sony DRC seems to do a nice job with a non-progressive player, and two, which player do I get? Is it safe to assume that a Sony progressive scan unit will be more compatible with my TV or not? One problem with my current DVD player is the amount of noise the unit makes, which can be quite annoying during quieter passages of the movies.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

Steve

Steven_ R

Agent
Dave - are you still not using the progressive output from your DVD player? This was (and still is) such a big selling point for HD ready TVs and I find it hard to believe that the DRC in our sets is better than the conversions (if that's the right term) done in the newer progressive scan DVD players. Have you tried any of the Sony DVD players?

Thanks

Steve

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Steve,
I am using the progressive output of the Panasonic CP-67. I was able to get the black level set correctly (although it was still tricky) and it had the features I wanted. I'm not sold on DVD audio so this is really the only thing it's lacking.
I will say the difference is not huge between prog and interlaced on this TV. Most of the differences have been written about before: jaggies, etc. They are more subtle than huge, and I'm with you that it was the price of these players coming down that made it worth the try. I've found it worth it.
One of those links should have been my thoughts on the Sony 655P player which had some nice features, but the Panny beat it on almost all levels. You should also check out the yahoo groups Sony TV site. There are always people writing about the players they've tried with the HS10.
By the way, does the covergance of your TV hold well? Mine is about the same age as yours and the convergance has been the most irritating thing for me. Very unpredictable, I've found.
Dave

Steven_ R

Agent
Dave - thanks for the help. I think I'll buy a progressive scan unit that's returnable, and see how much of a difference it makes.

As for the convergence, I had it done once by a tech who was not very skilled and it seems worse than before he did it. I don't think the flash focus works well either. Have you had yours done by a professional?

Steve

Dave_M

Agent
Real Name
David Martin
Steve,
I did the return thing as well until I found something I liked. Just make sure to use a calibration disc to get the settings correct. They will change quite a bit from interlaced settings(at least mine did). The general opinion is that Flash Focus doesn't work well, especially if you adjust the geometry settings in the service menu.
I've had to have Best Buy service out a couple of times for issues. I believe one more visit and they can declare it a lemon. That might just happen conveniently before my 4 yr. warranty expires.
There is a great tips and tweaks document at this link http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/ that is really good. I do the convergance myself but the TV seems to have its own idea of how long it will hold. If you do end up doing some tweaking you'll start to notice every little thing with the TV. That said, enjoy!
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks