What's new

Need help choosing components for a <$1000 system (1 Viewer)

Rick_N

Grip
First off I'm a newbie and don't understand all the lingo you guys are throwing out here but I'm learning as fast as I can. Getting a house in probably 6 months from now and I want a sound system for it. I currently have a JBL home theater in a box system from a couple of years ago that has a built in receiver in the sub. Don't remember a model number but all it has is Dolby Pro-Logic. Getting into DVD's and such, I want something with DD, DTS, etc. that will last quite a while. I am trying to get this for under a grand, which I know that's not a great system but it still should be good. I am looking at a Kenwood 507 model right now for a receiver. I believe that's the model number. Anyways, I have a 55" Toshiba HDTV with a progressive scan DVD player from JVC (S65?). I also have a PS2 and an Xbox so I need something with lots of outputs for everything I believe. I would like floor standing speakers for the front, but I have no idea what to look for in those, much less the center, rear and subwoofer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I've left out anything let me know.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/ has some good reviews of budget equipment. I would try to spend most of my money on the speakers (they make the largest difference in sound). In this price range the subwoofer will be the most expensive (driver & amp cost). Another suggestion would be to purchase the mains & subwoofer and then add the center and surrounds as budget allows...

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Rick, just re-read your post and noticed you said towers for fronts. That would tend to rule out a lot of the good budget satellite+sub systems you see that range anywhere from $700-1000. If your budget is $1K for both a receiver and all 6 speakers (5 + sub) then that is a little tight but can be done. I would say you want to shop around for speakers. Find a pair of fronts you like and make sure to match it with a center from the same speaker family. A budget Pioneer DD/DTS receiver can be had for $200 which would leave you with $800 for the speakers. I spent about $1050 on my current setup of speakers and Pioneer receiver with $850 of that going toward the speakers but I own Newton M50s for fronts and not towers so I don't know how much more towers will cost you in the wallet. I would agree that the speakers should be the bulk of the budget. Receivers will change, new features will come out, new digital decoding algorithms etc - all pushing you toward upgrading, but your speakers will persist through all of that.

good luck,

--tom

Rick_N

Grip
Well, I am willing to go a little over but to give an idea I was looking at some towers from the Outlet section at Amazon from Jensen from $80 a piece and according to today, free shippping for all orders over 99. Its very tempting, I just don't know if they are a good deal or not. What specs I should be looking at, etc. Are there certain specs that you guys would be looking at as a bare minimum for centers, towers, rears, sub, etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks