Need Help Choosing Component Shelves/Rack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daren Welsh, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I really need to get a decent shelf for my A/V components, but I'm having trouble finding something. Rather than getting a huge entertainment center that surrounds my already huge TV, I think I'd like to get one shelf (at least 5 shelves, preferably 6 or more) and then another that matches, but holds DVDs. I also want the shelf to have some sort of back panel that holds/hides all the wiring.
    I've done some looking online, but it's really hard to find anything that doesn't cost a fortune. I'd really like to stay under $500, but I won't comprimise quality for cost if it comes down to it.
    Of course, I checked out the Mits matching shelf. I'm not sure that's the best way to go, though, since it's fully enclosed. Have any of you had heat problems with enclosed systems like that?
    Something else I've noticed that I kinda like is the Plateau DS-6A and the Z-5A (I saw them in a Needle Doctor magazine ad). I'm not sure the one that goes back at an angle is such a great idea, either. Wouldn't that cause instability and possible tippage?
    Call me cheap, but I can't rationalize spending hella $$ when I plan on building a dedicated room with in-wall storage once I get a house (in a few years). Suggestions?

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

One thing to keep in mind is that it seems like 75% of the weight of a component (receivers especially) is in the front. Those shelves end up balancing the weight quite well. In addition, the Plateau that you mentioned can be filled with lead shot or sand.
    Discounts 'n' Deals has free shipping and pretty decent prices, http://www.discounts-n-deals.com/aca...rniture_1.html

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

If you're not averse to picking up the hammer, there's something called a Flexy.
    www.tnt-audio.com
    Customisable, and cheap.
    Visit the DIY forum for details and loads of advice.

4. Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton Stunt Coordinator

Building the Flexy rack will give you biggest bang for the buck and some self pride on top of it. I went this rack I bought mine over the Presidents sale for 250 after tax last Feb on discount and the rack is of good quality. They also have a matching rack for cd's/dvd's for around 150$Elite rack
    Edit fixed link