Need help choosing a hdtv.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisR, Jun 24, 2002.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase a 55-57 inch widescreen hdtv this fall. I'm not looking to spend more than $3000.
    I need to know what features to look for and what models. The brands I'm thinking about buying are mitsubishi, sony or toshiba.
    It will be used mostly for use with my progressive scan dvd player.
    All info will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Terry L.

Terry L. Auditioning

Just bought sony hdtv 57 widescreen , WOW I love it, got a jvc progressive dvd and the picture is fantastic just out of the box.

3. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

What model is your sony? The only tv I've looked at so far is a 57" sony.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I'll second the vote for Sony. I've had a KP57HW40 since last October, connected to a JVC progressive scan dvd player and Toshiba DST-3000 HD-capable DirecTV receiver. The picture was quite good out of the box, and very nice after a 20 minute session with the AVIA calibration dvd.

Velocity Scan Modulation can easily be turned off in the service menu. The set had about 15% red push as delivered according to AVIA's color decoder evaluation screen--about average for all sets these days except the Mits which tend to run as much as 25%. I was able to adjust the color decoder to totally eliminate this with one item in the service menu.

Either Sony or Toshiba has better line doubling and stretch modes for regular ntsc tv than Mitsubishi. Sony will display 480p natively from a progressive scan player, Tosh converts it to 540p losing a little resolution in the process.

5. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

Scott, most television's in that price range can be brought close to spec by a professional calibrator.

I personally prefer the picture on the Mitsubishi Platinum series but the Sony's are usually a safe bet. Sony's are nice because a calibrator can adjust the color decoder (on many brands this isn't adjustable).

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Chris, I just made the same decision and went with the Sony KP57-HW40. The experiences of Steve and others here on the forum are what swayed me - do a search on Sony in this category and you'll find several threads to read (same for the other brands).

I don't know what the situation is in your area but just last weekend all of the local retailers dropped the price on this one from $2699 to $2299. This (plus the Best Buy 10% coupon I had) was what made me finally pull the trigger. FWIW, Best Buy also had a 55" Tosh for $1999. I was VERY tempted, but the 540p issue finally pushed me back to the Sony. At any rate, it looks like the manufacturers are doing more price drops to clear out inventory in preparation for the new models coming out this fall. There should be some good deals out there.

7. Corry

Corry Auditioning

SONY...BUT GET THE NEW MODEL WS500 coming out in August (at least to Canada and same price as HW)

KP-57WS500
    or there is a KP-57WV600 but I don't know price and availability for this one.

All new models will have new HD Microfocus CRT and Lenses,
    WideBand Video Amplifier and Display 720p by upconverting to 1080i instead of downconverting in the current models

Corry

8. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up on the price drop Craig. I'm gonna check out my local CC and BB on tuesday.
    I'm also gonna have to check out the 57ws500 when it comes out.
    Thanks guys.