Need Help Choosing A DVD Player.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chip Brogden, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

I know very little about what to look for in a DVD player.

This is what I am looking for, all suggestions welcome.

-I would like to stick with the Pioneer Elite in black if at all possible (just to match my 43tx reciever). The DV-C36 looks very attractive but does it have all the goodies a quality home theater requires?

-If another brand is more appealing I would like to get it in a 5 disk carousel.

-I need to stay under $400.

Thanks to all for your help!![​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

was it that difficult of a question? Im sure someone has a idea of whats new out there, and what is the best.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

4. Chip Brogden

Chip Brogden Extra

thank you for your help Brian.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Pioneer Elite DV-C36 is simply a Pioneer C603 in gloss black. It's not built to the same standards as most of the elite lineup and does have the chroma bug (as do ALL of the current pioneer players, other than the 563A universal player). The 45A and 47Ai have been highly regarded for audio quality and video quality is very good as well (other than the chroma bug, which may not be visible at all depending on your TV). I've also seen a few older 47A players around at extremely discounted prices (under $300).

You may want to give the previous generation of Panasonic players (RP62, RP82, CP67, CP72, X30, X50) a look, as well as the older and newer Panasonic based Denon players (DVD-900, 910, 1600, 1200, 2200, 2900). The new panasonic players (S35, S55, S31, F65, F85) have abandoned the faroudja chipset, but still have good progressive PQ and are chroma bug free.

You can find the CP72 in black (CP72K) for around $200 online. It has a mirrored black front that would be a very close match to your 43TX. It has the faroudja chipset, is chroma bug free, 5-disc, and DVD-A support. If you don't want the DVD-A, you can save some $$ and get the CP67 which is otherwise the same player.

6. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I've seen it at a few different local HiFi Buys and Tweeters (same company) in the Atlanta area.

8. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

Oh ok, I thought maybe it was online. That player seems like a steal for under $300.

9. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Keep in mind that's the 47A, not the newer 47Ai. The older 47A does not have the i-link digital multi-channel audio link. I'm not sure if anything else was changed (other than minor cosmetic tweeks).

10. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

If you are considering the Denon's (910, 1200), you may want to also consider the Mitsubishi 8040.

11. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Yes the Mitsubishi DD-8040 model is basically the same as the Denon DVD-1200 but with a few extra setup features and smaller size plus silver cabinet. It sells for $249 at Tweeter, compared to $399 for the Denon DVD-1200.