Need help choosing a display...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bullet Head, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bullet Head

Bullet Head Agent

I am a noobie. I just saw a Sony Grand WEGA KDS-R60XBR1 60" LCOS Projection TV for $2750 with a 5-year in-house warranty (MSRP $4k). Picture looks great, but I heard that if I get a PS3, it will not work with this TV because it is a 1080p display and does NOT accept 1080p but accepts 1080i.

Another one I saw was the Hitachi 70" rear projection LCD for $2800. I forget what the model number is on it but it looked great.

Would I be happier with a $2k Samsung or a Panasonic Plasma? I know the picture is great on the plasma but Ive heard that the Sony LCOS mentioned above is phenomenol and can be superior when compared to $2k plasmas.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Amir - I would deeply consider either the Sony SXRD you were looking at, or the JVC D-ILA sets. Both are LCoS 1080p. And you will have no problems inputting 1080i from a PS3. And for the record, LCoS is far superior to Rear Projection LCD (in my not so humble opinion).

As for plasma's, take a look at the Panasonic TH-50PX60U. This is an excellent plasma, and definately worth consideration. But at the end of the day, you're getting far more value from a 60" LCoS set than a 50" plasma of the same price.

3. Bullet Head

Bullet Head Agent

Hi Alon,
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with the SXRD, the picture looks great when I compare it to the other tvs in the store. I think they dropped the price further to $2500 with the 5-yr warranty and 1 free bulb.