Need help choosing a 16:9 HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by greggor, Aug 4, 2002.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I am in the market for a new TV to replace my Sony 53 inch non HDTV ready RPTV.

I am basically looking for an HDTV ready set that is 50" or less, but not smaller than 45" in the $2,000 dollar price range. I have had several problems with my Sony over the last few years, so I think buying another Sony is out of the question. Some of the sets I have already looked at were the Toshiba 50H81, Phillips 50" (not sure of the model number)but in the same price range as the Toshiba. A JVC 48" and a few Panasonics also in this price range. Out of all of them I think I liked the Toshiba and the JVC the best, but I have read about some quality issues at AUDIOREVIEW.COM with the Toshiba.

Any recommendations any of you may have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

panasonic 47WX52

3. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

The Toshibas are a good value, and very highly respected, generally. In that price range, I think you might consider adding the Mitsubishi brand to the potential choices.

When I shopped (March to June) I spent three months on careful research, much of it Internet-based, and via the various home theater magazine reviews. All of the while I visited every showroom I could, and often. My final three choices in brands were as follows:

Pioneer Elite ($$$);
    Mitsubishi;
    Toshiba;

Any of the above three RPTVs are extremely well thought of by home theater enthusiasts and videophiles.

And, a quick piece of shopping advice... be careful of the image quality you see in the showrooms. They can be VERY deceptive, sometimes for deliberate reasons, and sometimes for accidental reasons. Be aware that they are often running with the settings adjusted so you would burn out your CRTs if you left them that way, and you would also run a very high risk for "screen burn-in" as well (where a ghost of a static image is left permanently on the screen.) Since you cannot run them that way once you get them home, you need to be careful about what you THINK is the "best looking" in the stores.

If you couple the above with the fact that the showroom in no way resembles your home theater (different type of lighting, viewing angles are different, sets are often on platforms, you cannmot always measure off the distance you will actually sit in your home, one set may have already ruined those CRTs if it has been running for 11 months in "torch mode," another set may have just had some nine-year-old kid screw up all of the settings 5 minutes before you walked in, the quality of the signal may be dramatically different than the satellite / cable / DVD player you have in your home, and it may be split with in-line amps, or split 50 times, or only split 5 times, depending on the set you are loking at, etc., the showroom should NOT be the final "dealmaker" or "dealbreaker."

If you have the luxury of time, read what others (especially owners and reviewers) have to say about them.

Have fun, shop carefully, and best of luck!

-Bruce in Chi-Town

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Bruce,

I have also looked at the Mits-, however they ony make a 55" and a 65" if I remember correctly. Unfortunatly size is an issue otherwise the Mitsubishi would be a "no brainer" as I was very impressed with its features as well as picture quality. Would you care to comment on the Tosh- turning off by itself phenomenon.

I would really like a set that is very non problematic.

Thanks,
    Greg

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Mits has a 46" and the new model year will have a 47"

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Mike,

Do you know where these two Mitsubishi's can be found? Model numbers and prices?

Greg

7. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

>> Do you know where these two Mitsubishi's can be found? Model numbers and prices?

8. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The model on the 46 inch is the WS46809 retails about 1800 to 1900..The 47 inch is coming out in their new fall models..

9. Butch S

Butch S Auditioning