Need help choosing 5 speakers and sub to go with Pioneer VSX 1014

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Rolando, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Hi guys,

Title says it all. I have decided to go for A VSX 1014 rather than the similar 52TX. Now I need to get the speakers to match.

Here are the limitations:

I am in a small apartment so no monster set up. It's for the living room which is a double room living room-dining room. The living room area is Aprox 13' by 15'.

Couch is up against the wall facing the TV directly across the room the shorter of the 2 distance. would have prefered to set up the "home theater" the other way but there are doors leading to outside on one side (on the 13' wall) and there is no wall on the other side as it just goes on to the dining room.

so as it is when I am on the couch (which is technically up against a 30' wall but for this purpose let's say up against one of the 2 15' walls) I have the doors to my right and nothing to my left. The TV is about 9' in front of me after I calculate the couch sticks out almost 2 feet from the wall and so does the TV across from me.

So what do I get? As I mentioned I am in an appartment so loudness is not a necessity. I am looking for fidelity. I want to create a nice "surround" environment. Directionality is a priority. I want to really feel like I have 5.1 Dolby or DTS with discrete channels not 5 speakers playing movie sounds. know what I mean?

As it is because couch is up against the wall I am not sure how reaer speaker placement will go.

Now I used to have a very nice surround set up 2-3 years ago where just the sub was $3000.00 so I consider myself pretty picky. I want to set a budget of under $1000 for the whole thing so I don't expect to come close in quality but I want to aim high.

What do you guys suggest? I want 5 speakers, not too big as the TV is a 34" HDTV so don't feel safe putting a big center channel on it. rather put it on a shelf over it or something.

I want quality over anything. and how do you suggest I set up the rear speakers?

also have ceramic tiles so I need a front firing sub not bottom firing. I want it TIGHT not loud or booming. I want it to be precise not sound like a night club or some guy trying to impress with his car speakers and we can hear the bass a block away.

Also have to consider the neighbours.

so take it away guys. Oh and it will be for 90% movies and 10% music so that is my priority.

thanks guys. Oh and prefered budget is $500 for the speakers and sub but can go up to $1000 if you guys deem it necessary.

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I know everyone wants to save a buck or two, but I think the 1014 deserves something closer to the $1000 mark. I'm using Polk RTi6's for the fronts, RTi4's for the surrounds and a CSi5 center (but it's pretty big) with two PE Dayton subs. Maybe 4 RTi4's and a CSi3 for around $720 retail (cheaper if you look around), leaving $200-250 for the sub? RTi's sound nice, look good and have high quality construction. Others will recommend Rockets, Ascend, Swan, etc. but I can only comment on what I've heard. But I'm afraid you will need more than $500 to match the 1014. P.S. Look into the Athena line. It was my second choice only because of the smaller center speaker, which you prefer.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.ascendacoustics.com Go to the system advisor and try an all CBM-170 + STF-2 setup - for $1138. There are a few configs that you can get at right around $1K (maybe a little more) for a 5.1 setup. Optionally, drop the STF-2 and the cost is ~$750, then add a Dayton sub for $129 and you will be just below $1K with shipping.

Front firing vs down firing won't make a big difference.

I agree with Gene; $500 is going to be really tough if you want something that is honestly decent.

Directionality comes from proper setup and the quality of the receiver, not so much the speakers. Good speakers just sound better, but good placement of sounds comes from the processing. I think you have that pretty well covered with the 1014.

I have a 34" Sony and I have a decent sized, 38lb center sitting on it.

Take a look at this thread too:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=227807

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd go w/ 3 pairs of the clearance Rocket ELTs and an SVS PB10. It will keep you under budget, give you 5 perfectly matched speakers (with a spare) and a sub that will go deep and should put out plenty of SPL. The extra budget could be put towards stands for the speakers, cabling, or both.

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    O.K. Ascends, Rockets, now who will recommend Swans?

6. John Garcia

John
    The Rockets are sold out... AV123 doesn't even seem to have them listed anymore.

7. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

I second John Garcia's suggestion. If pure musical accuracy is what you're after at a reasonable price the Ascends pretty much rule!

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would have reccomended Swans 2.1s all around w/ a C3 center earlier but when you add a sub that would be around $1400 and I was trying to keep my recomndaion under the original $1000 cap. Since the ELTs are gone aparently and there's talk of rasing the budget then Swans 2.1s, C3, and SVS PB10 would be my next reccomendation and probably a noticable step up.

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Eddie-

Did you end up buying some Ascends, then?

10. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Chris,

Yeah I did, got the 340s across the front and am VERY happy with them, especially the center---I even listen to a lot of my music in surround now because it does vocals so well.

I'll be posting a detailed review of them in a couple of weeks in fact.

Thanks again for letting me audition them at your place!

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

You're welcome. Check in on the Ascend Forum there is someone in Baytown wanting an audition that I may not be able to accomodate for a couple of weeks.

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I take it I should avoid stuff like quest,paradign and Infinity? Never heard any of these. Had some Polks about 10 years ago and they seemed fine. Last one I had were Klipsch RF3s.

Never heard any of the brands mentioned, Swan, Ascends etc. So this good stuff or budget stuff?

13. John Garcia

John
    In Canada, you SHOULD consider Paradigm, but you still aren't going to find full set for $500. Infinity would be fine for that budget. Never heard of Quest.

14. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

which series? regular or reference? big difference? Cinema series sounds hyped up a lot but looks like HTIAB type stuff.

15. John Garcia

John
    They have 5 lines - Cinema, Performance, Monitor, Reference and Signature, in that order. The Cinemas are roughly equivalent to nice HTiB speakers; better than you will find in most HTiBs, but still just small, somewhat limited speakers. I think a 5.1 setup would run around $500-ish without a sub.

16. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Rolando,

> I take it I should avoid stuff like quest,paradign and Infinity?

I'm not familiar with Quest, Infinity is not bad but their good stuff is way overpriced (similar situation to Polk), however Paradigms IMO offer *very* good quality-to-price ratio though they might still cost a little more than Ascends.

I was looking at at the Paradigm Monitor 7s, they were quite good for $600 a pair (plus tax) locally.

17. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Chris,

OK I'll see if I can find the guy & contact him. Do I have to register in order to post on that Ascend forum?

18. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

You've got pm.

19. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I actually haven't picked up the receiver et, I was going to get it all together. Should I just consider a small receiver too to stay under ovrall budget?

Honestly will I hear a big difference if I just go cheap-o and spend under $1000 for the whole thing? or should I bite the bullet and increase budget. Now of course it will sound nicer but I also see this as a temporary setup unitl I move a year from now. figured the 1014 would be a good permanent addition then later just upgrde the speakers and sub...

but let's face it, by the time I'll be getting an SVS and spending nice speakers odds are I'll be upgrading the receiver too. Darn it why so picky... this is too costly [​IMG]