What's new

Need Help Choosing 5.1 Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

pyroon

Auditioning
Real Name
Chase
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a 5.1 home theater system for my basement rec-room. It's most likely just going to be used for watching T.V., gaming, and watching movies. Probably somewhere in the range of 80/20 with the 20% being music. My budget is a MAX of $2000.00 Canadian ($1700.00 US). I've noticed a popular choice for speakers around these forums are the SVS speraks, altough I'm skeptical to buy before I hear.

I was looking at these AV's (both have True-HD):
Denon AVR-789 - Denon Canada | AVR-789
Onkyo TX-SR706 - Onkyo TX-SR706 - THX? Select2 Plus? Certified HDMI v1.3a 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

which would only leave about $1K to spend on speakers. I had my eyes on the energy micro speakers, but when I went to listen to them they sounded very muffled and dull. None of the specialty audio stores seemed to have anything that would fit my needs in my price range. Which takes me back to square one.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest me some speakers that would fit in my budget with those AV's.

The room is about 500 square feet, and about 4000 cubic feet.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would go with the Onkyo 706, especially if you're new to home theater. The 706 will be easier to learn and use. Denon is very good equipment, but they aren't quite as user friendly, to newbies, as other brands. Their remotes can be a nightmare too.

A lot of speakers will sound better after a break-in period.
I second the SVS speakers. They have excellent customer service, and return policy. If you don't like them, you can return them. I doubt you'd return them...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenorlyrico
Recent bookmarks