What's new

Need help changing small formal dining into a HT (1 Viewer)

vonerick

Grip
I've been living in my house for 7 years and I have a formal dining room that is just wasted space......UNTIL I talked the wife into letting me turn it into a dedicated home theater, the only problem is, the room is small (16'2" x 7'6")

But, just to get a feel of thing, I moved a sofa and recliner in to see what the space was like, and i think it could work. With the sofa against the back wall and 2 recliners in front of it against the side walls with a walk way in the middle for access to the sofa it was tight, but useable.

But I have questions about viewing distances. I would put the sofa on a raised platform 5' deep and 6" high, and the recliners would be just in front of that so the 1st row viewing would be approx 10' while the second row would be 16. what would be a good projector for under $1K that would give me the best performance?

I was trying to guess at what size screen I would use, because my room is only 90" wide with 8' ceiling. If i made a 74" x 42" screen that would give me 8" on both side to hang some custom drapes to help with the sound and look of the HT.

Also I would have to mount the projector on the back wall above the sofa since space is limited and only the kids would be sitting back there, so their heads should not affect it.

I have HDTV in the next room, so I will probably be watching HD, but mostly it will be used for DVD's.

All suggestion and comments are more than welcome....

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am in a similar situation.. My room is 16' deep, viewing distance is about the same 16' and 10' (see photos)
I used advice form HTF and the calculators here at
Projector Central to help me figure out viewing distance

- I ended up with a 67.5" (Roughly) wide Screen (75" Diag)
Used with the infocus 4805 (DLP).
No eye problems at 10 and 16'

Screen door is not too visible at 10 feet.. and I could not be happ..Hapi.. exstactic

As far as projectors go - what are you looking for?

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
von,
you will find that recently most people will suggest the infocus 4805 for you. I recently purchased this projector myself. I live in a condo where space is really limited. My projector is ceiling mounted and my viewing distance is about 10.5 feet. I have a 76" screen and it works beautifully. I think your setup should work fine. I hear that tv authority is giving a great deal on the 4805, but you have to call them in order to get it. Check out the Display Devices (TV/Projectors) thread and do a search in that thread for 4805. You'll find quite a bit.
Good luck and keep us updated on how things go.

vonerick

Grip
From all of the things I've read, by the time i finish painting, making screens, building risers, putting in furniture and setting up stereo and speakers I will then buy my projector.

I know I run DVI and component cables to the PJ, so i should be covered for which ever PJ I was to get.

also I going to remove the chandelier, and install 4 recess lights, does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the place to put them....over the sitting area, in front of the screen or what?

one other thing, I want to install rope lighting around the ceiling and around the floor, what is the best place to buy such things?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks